Chapter 8: Closer You and I

The beginning tempo of Closer You and I had played on the karaoke, a sign that the music will start soon. Since forced, Shikamaru stood on the stage, waiting for the song to start. He was holding the microphone with him, unsure if he should give his all in singing. What a drag...

"Hey, there's a look in your eyes
Must be love at first sight
You were just part of a dream
Nothing more so it seemed," he took a breath before continuing.

"But my love couldn't wait much longer
Just can't forget the picture of your smile," upon mentioning this, Shikamaru was taken aback. A flashback of Temari's smile automatically showed itself in his mind, which made him get out from his concentration at the moment, yet regained balance after a second.

"'Cause everytime I close my eyes, you come alive," the teen began picturing things when the female would be away.

"The closer I get to touching you
The closer I get to loving you
Give it a time
Just a little more time
We'll be together," but...when? Man, I can't even confess.

"Every little smile
That special smile
The twinkle in your eye
In a little while," this line had another picture in Shikamaru's mind where Temari was being thanked by the male because they helped teaching the students in the academy even just for a few hours. That one moment when she smiled and chuckled at him... It completely devoured his soul. He knew, at that moment, he was falling for her.

"Give it a time
Just a little more time
So we can get closer
You and I..."

Shikamaru's hues landed now on the figure of the woman he's been thinking of since this song had played. The corner of his orbs noticed that Ino elbowed Temari slightly on her left waist as she called the other's attention. Shortly, the older blonde female noticed it, tilted her head to the side and then began listening to the way how he delivered every word of the song.

It was beautiful... She couldn't believe he had a talent like this.

"Then could I love you more
So much stronger than before
Why does it seem like a dream
So much more so it seems
I guess I found my inspiration
With just one smile, you take my breath away
So hold me close
And say you'll stay with me now," his stares remained at her, so as Temari's. Everyone became quiet all of a sudden, their hues shifting from Temari then to Shikamaru, vice versa.

At the last line of the song, Shikamaru gave his all. Using this song would probably reach Temari's heart.

"The closer I get to touching you
The closer I get to loving you
Give it a time
Just a little more time
We'll be together
Every little smile
That special smile
The twinkle in your eye
In a little while
Give it a time
Just a little more time
So we can get closer
You and I.."

Everyone clapped in awe, saying "Yeah, it's Shikamaru! You all didn't expect that coming, huh!" It was most probably Naruto's voice echoing. In embarrassment, he headed down, Temari heading upstairs this time. He saw Ino and Temari talk about something as he made his way back to his table--both the girls nodding. What're they on about? His hues watched the leaving Temari until he reached his table.

"I saw how you looked at her. Have you confessed yet?" Asked Ino after sipping her tea once.

The teen scratched the back of his head. "...No, not yet."

"Seriously?! Haven't you used your brain yet?!" Replied Ino, her sighing sounded more of a grunt.

Shikamaru stepped back because of the loud whisper Ino was telling him. Since he would most likely avoid the argument, he didn't reply.