Extra Chapter: Serendipity

It feels like...

"Serendipity."

"Huh?" Questioned Shikamaru, facial expression was as well in the same pose. His hands remained in his pockets as he somehow patiently waited for the other's explanation.

"Serendipity. It means something valuable or delightful will come to you without actually looking for it," Temari turned to him, a smile was on her lips. "It's like...ours."

Her purple outfit was tugged by the wind blowing from the east, so as her blonde hair. It perfectly matched the situation they were currently having; so perfect it made Shikamaru blush slightly. Trying with all his might to divert his attention onto something else, he contradicted what Temari just said. "It sounds like fantasy to me."

"It does, and I cannot argue with you on that," agreed the blonde. "But it happened to us."

Shikamaru gazed away, right hand scratching the back of his head; embarrassed.

Out of the blue, the blonde began then again. "Do you remember how we met?"

"Ah, Chuunin Exams again?" This time, as Temari brings it back, Shikamaru wasn't feeling annoyed at the thought even in the slightest. It was actually nice to be able to recall what had happened before with them, and comparing what they have right now.

"Wouldn't it be considered serendipity?"

Because of her question, Shikamaru began reminiscing what had happened starting at the exams and down to where they are now--dating. Would it be considered one? He asked himself. It took them a few more silence before Shikamaru decided to speak again. "Would it be?" The lad returned the question to her.

Temari's brows furrowed. "What. You mean you didn't feel like our meeting wasn't delightful?"

"Well...," the pineapple-haired male scratched the back of his head. "Knowing you're an enemy..."

That's what they mostly do when they're together and are off from their duties--spending time together, eating, discussing about work; but the third option was barely brought up. Shikamaru wanted to completely get off from work every time he is with Temari; feeling it was the only quality time they have.

"I couldn't blame you," said Temari, eating piece of her dango off from its stick. The round, delicious food carved itself on the blonde's cheek which Shikamaru found quite...cute.

The lad looked away. "Well, serendipity or not, I will still go for you anyway," he said, almost of a mumble.

"...Why?" Selflessly asked the shinobi of Suna.

"I don't really know. I just-," he stopped for a few seconds, trying to gather the right words to say to her. Geez. This is troublesome. Why do I feel like I'm courting her again? I'm not saying it's wrong; it's just- "I'd just go for you, you reject me or not. Fortunately, you accepted," slightly smirking at his current thought, Shikamaru continued. "Why did you accept me?"

"Wh-? What's with that all of a sudden?"

"Well, you know. Mum taught me before--so that I won't be rude to anyone, I should answer the question first before returning or asking another question. And since I answered yours, I wanted to ask another. We're still on the conversation, same topic--us. You won't be lost."

Obviously enough, Shikamaru was trying to tease her. But the question itself had her thinking.

"Temari?"

"I've quite thought about it. Just now. The only answer I know why I accepted you in my life is... I love you. Sorry if it's not much of your interest," she fired back. Even if this was supposedly a romantic conversation, it turned out that they were bantering their feelings for each other.

Not much of a surprise to her, her boyfriend flushed red.

"I love you too, Temari."

No word came out from the wind user but a gentle smile.

All of the dangos were all had been eaten up. The only left was a stick. Temari walked towards a trash bin, threw the stick away and began walking, Shikamaru following her from behind.

Though hesitating, her boyfriend scratched the back of his head, eyes pinned at the empty hand of the lass. There were several thoughts running in his mind, but eventually had gotten all the courage to grab her hand and entwine it with his.

There were bunch of people crossing the line so they had to stop, their hands still together. Now, Shikamaru pulled her hand to let her face him. They stood whilst facing each other for almost two minutes before Shikamaru was able to have an inch of him move. His left free hand cupped Temari's cheeks and planted a soft, gentle and passionate kiss on her lips. Gladly, the lass returned it.

"Really. In public, Shikamaru? That's not what we thought you would be! Well, not the one we know!" A familiar voice of a certain friend of his hand echoed in his ear. Immediately, he pulled out. Acting as if nothing happened, both of them looked at the said person.

"Naruto, what do you want?" It came off quite harsh, but in all honestly, that was what he wanted to ask his male blonde friend about.

"Gyah," said Naruto as he was taken aback. "Kissing in broad daylight and in public but then acting as if nothing happened? You two sure would get awards for being the best actor and actress, like seriously! Stop the act already! We all know you two are going out, act shy at least," he insisted.

Geez... Though he's already married to Hinata, he still didn't change. Still the noisy Naruto I know. "Quit sticking your nose into people's businesses."

"Well, that's what I want to do until I saw you two kissing in public."

"You said it yourself. People already know we're dating. I don't see any reason why we shouldn't kiss each other in public, not that we're planning to do more of it. This one just happened."

"You're right," said Naruto, scratching his cheek with his pointer finger. "I should get going. Hinata is calling for me. See you around, Shikamaru, Temari!" He bid goodbye, hands waving in the air.

Shikamaru smiled at Temari, the lass doing the same. Their entwined hands weren't removed. Both made their way to their home, silly smiles were on their lips.

"Serendipity indeed."