Chapter 19: Chouji's Expectations

Both Shikamaru and Temari were walking towards the library-structured base this time. The mission that they had to do next was to track Shiho down. By finding her whereabouts, they would easily get a hold of Daimaru, Kin and Tayuya too.

"When are we going to tell them about us?" Began the world-renowned genius.

"I'm sure that time will come; we need not to hurry, you see," replied the kunoichi, facial expression had no change at all. It appeared like it was her nature to be a militant, blunt and stoic type of person. And that definitely had captured Shikamaru's attention. Of course, she was as troublesome as his mom and other girls out there, but he had seen the potential in her of being a Nara.

One that he couldn't explain at the moment.

"Chouji did tell me something."

The day after Rock Lee and Gai interrogated the two.

"Chouji, sorry for calling you out this late-"

"It doesn't matter, Shikamaru, as long as you're gonna treat me to Yakiniku Q after this!"

"Geez," sighed his friend after he scratched the back of his head. Though he didn't say he would treat him out, the genius had proceeded anyway. "Unfortunately, as time goes by, more and more people are seeing me and Temari as more than we already are."

"I can tell. Ino later had found out, Akamaru also claimed that he could sense something between you and Temari--as I heard from Kiba, I haven't heard anything from Sakura yet, Shino could also tell, Hinata is aware, Naruto is still suspecting the two of you, Gai-sensei, Kakashi-sensei, Kurenai-sensei, Hokage-sama, Shizune-san could also tell. You know, Shikamaru," sighed Chouji. "Even though everyone knows you're a genius, and Temari is also a smart person, you two are still no different compared to others."

Shikamaru was taken aback. He didn't know his best friend had done quite good observation about them.

"Plus, your actions say so," continued the chubby lad. "Whenever you're with her, your actions won't stop."

"What do you mean 'won't stop'?"

"Your affection for her is always shown. No wonder people suspect you as much as I did before."

"Hey, your case was different. I've told you about it before I made those actions you're saying," explained Shikamaru.

He chuckled. "Yeah, I know. Remember that one moment when you two were on that dark aisle doing intense kisses?"

"W-We didn't have to go to that issue, Chouji!" Retaliated the Nara.

Hearing Shikamaru stutter about something that would embarrass the other made Chouji feel amused. "Maybe, the reason why people suspect you two is either you show too much affection which leads to all the obviousness, you two appear not like business partners anymore, there's something between the two of you that is worth seeing... Something that could tell people that something's going on between the two of you. That something is completely unexplainable. A spark."

"A spark?"

"I see. So that's what it is, huh?" Shared the lass. "Well, if that's really it is, then I suppose we shouldn't deny it. We don't have to tell them the truth too, since they shouldn't be involved in a relationship only we should have to deal on."

Hands in his pockets, he replied. "I guess I can't really say 'no' to that."

"Yeah, a spark."

Chouji's words continued in Shikamaru's mind as it was reminisced. It felt like the conversation happened a few minutes ago.

Shikamaru didn't reply, thus just gave the other a look of 'what 'spark'?'. This delivered an idea to Chouji that he needed to explain further. Besides, he claimed his friend was no different from others when it comes to things like this, so he began explaining.

"I'm talking about the chemistry you two build. Even if you seldom see Temari because of the distance of our villages, there's this 'something' that makes the two of you fun to look at. Those little insults you give each other--though, normally, when you tell that insult to someone, they will feel really insulted. Like that one guy with puppets."

"You mean, Kankuro, her little brother?"

"Yeah, even that. You seem close to her little brothers," exhaled the chubby latter. "No wonder people suspect you," before ending his statement, he followed it up with another. "Especially those smiles you exchange to each other. Knowing you find women troublesome, who would have thought you can smile to her like that? You never smiled like that to your previous enemies before--Kin, Tayuya, Kujaku. Even to your friends, Ino being the closest one."

Shikamaru was out of words. Now, Chouji was making sense.

"You treat Temari differently, and she does the same to you."

"What do you mean?"

"When did she grin to anyone? She never had done that to her little brothers."

"...She probably grinned before too, it's just that-"

"She probably did, but understandable since those people are close to her. She never smiled at Daimaru, even after he was reanimated. Do you remember?"

That was the moment the mission he and Temari had to complete had snapped in Shikamaru's mind. He had to track them down, especially Shiho.

Standing in front of the library-structured building was the genius of Konoha and the kunoichi of Suna. It was completely designed like that exclusively for cryptographers of the 'now', the 'new generation' and the following ones. "Here we are," said Shikamaru, eyes were pinned at the amenity.

"This doesn't look any different from that one club we went before," stated Temari. "Do you know how that Shiho person looks like?"

"I didn't take a good look of her when I saw her in their workroom, but I do remember she had a pair of glasses with swirls on the glasses itself, she had pale blonde hair colour tied in pigtail over her shoulder and pretty good at decoding things. She's the one who helped us reveal the message behind Jiraiya's last letter. She's often seen wearing her white laboratory gown."

"A pretty keen observation, I should say," replied Temari, quite amused.

To add more, Shikamaru continued. "She's-" his words were cut off in the mid-air when he saw the person they were looking for appear at the dark corner outside near the said building. "There!" The male pointed right after, chasing the girl next.

Temari couldn't do anything but to follow him. "Shikamaru, that might be a trap!"

Shikamaru heard her, and she's probably right. But his adrenaline rush had overcame him--remembering the moment how Daimaru stabbed Temari just really got in his nerves. He had, somehow, a feeling...a desire to kill her in an instant. Still, Shiho is a girl. He couldn't just hurt a woman.

A few more steps... A few more distance! Only a few more! I'll definitely bring down the one who dared to hurt the person who's important to me!