Chapter 18: Maito Gai and Rock Lee

"So... How did you do it? How did you find it out?"

"It was pretty obvious," said Shikamaru, proudness could be traced on his voice. "I saw in her eyes that she's a reanimated one. So, that's already a hint. When she invited me, she wasn't really inviting me for some excitement. She lured me in there to kill me."

...Kill...you..?

Upon hearing that made Temari remember what had happened days before. Those moments she had reminisced itself as if they were done automatically. However, just so Shikamaru wouldn't worry about her like what he did back then, she tried to wipe it off away. The jounin didn't say anything about it, thus kept quiet.

"I found out that that was what she was trying to do, so I played along to lure her into my trap. Fortunately, she did. That was when you heard funny noises from the inside of the room. I used my technique to stop her from moving, so good thing you came. I don't really hurt women."

Temari's silence captured the attention of the genius. The noir-haired male blinked in question as he titled his head to see her face. "Hey, Temari?" Without hearing her reply, her facial expression explained what she was thinking. It was, once again, an unusual face she did. "If you're worried about me being killed, don't worry about it," he said, looked up shyly and glanced away. "...I don't want to see you sad, anyway."

"..!"

Though already official to each other, things like this was still surprising for them. Even if both of them are smart, when it comes to romantic things, they are no different from the others.

"I KNEW ITTTT!"

Two shinobi, dressed in green tights as if relatives, had jumped from the rooftop near where Shikamaru and Temari were standing. "...Lee..?" Mumbled Shikamaru in surprise. "And... Gai-sensei? What are you two-"

"So Lee and I had the right intuition."

Temari stayed there, dumbfounded.

Gai placed both of his arms over his chest, a grin flashed towards the two shinobi. "Lee told me the real thing!" Lee and his teacher released comical tears from their round eyes. "They are maximising the time of their youth, Lee! You should, too!"

"Yes, Gai-sensei! I'm already trying to court someone!" He saluted.

"I see," there was an awkward pause between them, until Gai decided to turn to Rock Lee with surprised facial expression. "Eh?!! I didn't know when and who, but I'm so proud of you!" He held his student on his shoulders and then did a massive crying once again.

"Yes, Gai-sensei!" Then, he returned the crying.

"Geez, are they serious?" Shikamaru commented.

"...I can't stand this," replied Temari after sighing.

"So," started Gai, his strong emotions had subsided, so as his student's. "State the relationship between you two, Temari of Suna, Shikamaru. You two are suspicious enough," continued the older jounin.

"Yes!" Agreed Lee. "There was one time me and Naruto were stalking the two of them, Gai-sensei! And they were feeding each other shrimps!"

...They were stalking us..?

"Shrimps? That's cheap," replied Gai.

Hey, hey. Don't make it sound like I'm a cheapskate or something. My demeanour had me--I just felt like feeding her that one shrimp. It wasn't indicated to any... Well, it was. Besides, that's the only food available around-

"What a cheapskate," commented Gai.

Ah! Gai-sensei really said it! Geez..

"But that is actually a good step from taking someone you like to marriage."

"Hey, Gai-sensei," cut Shikamaru out. "We're not that of in a hurry. We'll take time to know each other well. If we have to get on to the stage of dating before getting in a relationship, engagement and marriage, we will."

In surprise, Temari turned to Shikamaru, thinking he had blown their secret promised to each other. "Shika-!"

"That is, if we ever are planning to be together. But we're not. So stop jumping into conclusions, Gai-sensei, Lee," stated Shikamaru, which put the blonde female at ease.

"That line, Gai-sensei, that line!" Rock Lee said, pointing at Shikamaru. The other couldn't help but step back once. "He said that to me and Naruto three times already! Don't you think they're hiding something?" Asked the bushy-browed student, determination was in his eyes.

Gai sighed. "Actually, I have a proof."

P... Proof..?

The older jounin brought out a piece of book from his green-coloured jacket and opened it in the middle. It was Kakashi's book, but they didn't pay attention on it. What they were focused on was the contents the book that was about to be revealed. "When I heard this news from Lee, I quickly asked for Kakashi's help. Explains why I have his book," he grabbed small pieces of papers from it. "How about explaining these to us so our suspicions would be removed? Just so we won't bother you anymore, maybe?"

He showed them several pictures of Shikamaru and Temari together.

There was the picture where Shikamaru fed Temari a shrimp.
Their time inside the hot spring.
The shadow holding the paper that flew in front of Temari with a "Temari Na-" written on it.
When Temari was brought inside the Nara Household.

Almost every picture when they spent time together was captured by Kakashi, Gai and his most loyal student, Lee.

"Those are..," she cut off. "Obviously fakes," facial expression had no change at all.

"That again?!" Exclaimed Lee, but he wasn't surprised at all. He was sort of expecting that they would reply that to them too.

We're running out of excuses... Thought Shikamaru. He mentally scratched the back of his head and took places with Temari. "Sorry, Gai-sensei, Lee, we got things to do."

"Sorry, but I refuse, Shikamaru-san!"

"Hah?" Replied the teen, unsure.

"You did mention almost the same thing before too! But instead, you and Temari-san had headed to the Ichiraku Ramen before letting her off, even though you did say she was in a hurry!"

Temari flinched. We were found..?

"That was," halted Shikamaru, glancing at the kunoichi. "Of course, she had to stuff herself out first before she goes back to her village. Walking back from here to there was no joke, since it takes three straight days to arrive there," explained the Nara.

"Sure it does," replied Gai. "But one doesn't simply feed each other slowly, knowing Temari of Suna was in a hurry. A friend doesn't have to feed someone," grinned the jounin.

Shikamaru clenched his fist, his facial expression changed in determination. "Yes, we were."

"Eh..?"

"I KNEW IT!" Exclaimed Rock Lee, throwing his fist in the air in excitement. But that feeling of Lee had immediately subsided.

"Yes, we weren't in any of those speculations," then Shikamaru held Temari's hand. From there, they began walking off.

"Wow, that's the most weird response I've ever-" Rock Lee turned to his teacher. "Gai-sensei! Stop crying!" The little bushy-browed cried too, right after Gai did.

"They are indeed maximising their time of youth, Lee! YOU SHOULD, TOO!" He replied in excitement, wiping his rather comical tears.

"Yes, Gai-sensei! I have someone in my life! It's...," he whispered in Gai's ear, which made his hues widen in surprise.