Chapter 24: Return

"So," began her, hands crossed behind her and below her waistline. "Did Tsunade-sama tell you that you have to go back there?" The female remained looking at her in question.

"What do you mean I have to go back there? Did something happen?"

Her light emerald hues shifted down on the ground whilst of the two of them still walking together. "Well... To Konoha. They--Tsunade-sama and Kazekage-sama--had exchanged mails together; and it turned out that there's still someone who's controlling Kin and Tayuya--they're still alive."

They're already dead, actually... Just reanimated. Like the usual, the pineapple-haired male predicted it happening. "Yeah. I'm trying to track them down, but I still find no traces."

"Hey," called the pink-haired lass. "We can't do that unless we received orders from the higher-up. But, well, if I were on your place, I'd do the same," she stopped on her tracks, turned to Shikamaru, held both his shoulders and made him look at her. Determined facial expression was seen all over her. "Should we do it?"

The lad flinched a bit, but managed to retain his balance. "Well, I'm doing it-"

"I'd come with you; you wouldn't know when a medic would be of use," she stated, smiling.

The lad then scratched the back of his head. Geez, like I can do anything about that. When Shikamaru was on his way to continue to find traces of the brain of all these reanimations, Sakura had once again halted his movements. "What now?" He asked, somewhat irritated but wasn't really.

"Someone has been following us since we started walking," eyes keened, it glanced around the place, allowing the unknown person to reveal itself. "Show yourself or I'll force you to!" Provoked Sakura.

"Geez, I'm here, I'm here," said Temari's little puppeteer brother, his hands both raised on his sides as if giving up. "I probably didn't conceal myself too well; this is against of what I think, anyway."

"Kankuro? What are you doing here?"

"Well, big brother, I'm obviously just walking around."

"Why do you have to 'conceal' yourself, then?" Asked the pink-haired female.

"...Uh...," he felt his sweat following the path of his cheeks downward. Kankuro then scratched the side of his left cheek using his pointer finger. "Like, does it matter? Anyway, I'll be going. I still have lots of things to tend to," quickly, he vanished from their sights to avoid more questions to be thrown to him. Man, too close!

Only a crooked brow was the pink-haired girl's reply. On the other hand, Shikamaru was aware what Kankuro's weird actions were for. "He's weird, acting weird," commented Sakura. Shikamaru didn't agree nor disagreed on her statement; he has always been the neutral one, and he knew why.

---

The puppeteer scratched the back of his head, annoyed. "Geez, why do I keep forgetting that they aren't the ninjas we had seen before; when they were still weaklings back in the Chuunin Exams?" Kankuro clicked his tongue. "And why do I keep putting that Nara boy's ability to the side? He ain't ordinary-jaan."

When he got far from the two, Kankuro began marching closer, now doing his best so any of the two wouldn't be able to detect his presence. I must do this for my big sister, for Temari's sake. I can't just leave her with someone like him-

Few talks were made by Sakura and Shikamaru as they moved forward, until Shikamaru suddenly kept quiet--not really suddenly since Shikamaru often keeps quiet just to avoid arguments from occurring, he just doesn't feel like it. He sighed for a bit, hands still resting inside his pockets. "Hey, come out now."

Alerted, Sakura looked around. "Wh..?"

"Kankuro," added the noir-haired male.

"Kankuro?" Repeated the medic ninja. Isn't he the one...a while ago..?

"What the hell," replied the puppeteer in an instant, revealing himself soon. I shouldn't have taken this freak lightly.

Taking a short sigh, Shikamaru bothered speaking again. "Why do you keep following us, anyway?"

"Uh, well...," he glanced to the side, avoiding Shikamaru's gazes. "Well!" He continued, sighing loudly so he wouldn't stutter again. Kankuro placed both of his hands inside his pockets, standing firm as if not hiding anything. "I just wanna make sure my sister's gonna marry someone worthy."

"You're doubting what Shikamaru could do?" Defended Sakura. "He's a good guy; I'm pretty much sure he's not the kind of guy you have in mind."

A striking glance was given to Sakura from Kankuro. "I wanna hear that from him-jaan. Otherwise, I won't believe it. Besides, word itself wouldn't make me trust my sister easily to you; I have to see that you're sincere, you're actually looking forward to marry her, that you're not here just because she's the Kazekage's sister-"

Finally turning to face him, gestures still the same, Shikamaru began speaking straight Kankuro, facial expression was the usual. "Y'know, instead of you going around snooping in people's lives, why don't you attend meetings the Kazekage ordered you to attend to?"

That line made Kankuro flinch. "Wha-- I just finished attending!"

A small smirk was drawn on Shikamaru's lips, telling Kankuro he actually nailed the point. "Oh?"

"I just wanna hear from you your intention! Of course, I'm her little brother; I'm gonna protect her!"

"I prefer saying it directly to her."

"Oh? Then, I'll find Temari and bring her here; just so I would see and witness what you really feel about her."

"Wait," stopped Sakura. She just finished letting a messenger bird land on her arm. The medic accepted a scroll, a message was written on it. After that, the bird flew back to its village.

"Shikamaru, stay beside Temari at all costs. Ensure her safety. I have ordered our shinobi to cover the place; others are aiding the villagers. Don't leave the village."

As Sakura was reading this, her green hues switched glances from Kankuro, Shikamaru then back to the letter. There was a line that made the pineapple-haired male search for Temari in an instant. "Let's go; we need to find Temari."

"Kankuro," called Sakura. "Do you know the last place Temari went to or stayed before you left her?"

"Ah, the hotel near the Kazekage's quarters. Why?-"

Before Kankuro could even finish the rising intonation in his question, Shikamaru already left, Sakura following his tracks. Geez, what the hell, Kankuro told himself, annoyingly scratched the back of his head, and followed them anyways.

"The culprit is in Suna."