Chapter 2: Overthinking

"You have slept in the middle of work hours yesterday. As a punishment, you need to write down the names of all current genins of Konoha," said the Hokage, maintaining a cool facial expression towards the chuunin. Good thing the punishment was just like that. Shikamaru just hoped he wouldn't sleep in the middle of his work again.

"I understand, Hokage-sama," he replied, not really sure if he wanted to take the mission or not. Yet, since he was at fault, he had no choice but to do it.

Tsunade left the room, handing it over to Shikamaru. She left him there because he's going to start working in the same place. "Shikamaru-nii!" Called a kid with his two friends. "Do you need help? Konohamaru and company is here to help you!" He stated happily.

"Oh?" He looked at the three figures standing before him. "You three? Why are you guys here?"

"Going to help you, Shikamaru-nii! Because we heard you overslept together with Temari-nee," he explained.

The older one gulped. "...It's a drag but I gotta do this. I was at fault, anyway. You guys should just play outside and entertain the villagers. I can handle this one," he smiled at them.

Before Konohamaru could speak again, his original big brother appeared behind the door. "Really? So I got the right information, huh?" Said Naruto, giving Shikamaru a huge, malicious grin. "I knew you two were on a date! It happens whenever that lady visits here! You don't have to thank me, I just know I'm too brilliant!" The male praised himself.

"It's not like that!" Retaliated Shikamaru. "I just walked with her because I was assigned to be her escort while she's here. Stop jumping into conclusions."

"Eh," sighed Naruto in disappointment. "I thought I had it right. I've mistaken you and Sakura before, and I did it again," he recalled. "But, hey, I'm gonna ask you something and you gotta reply me honestly."

"You better hurry because I got a lot of things to do."

Konohamaru and his friends looked back and forth to Shikamaru and Naruto as they tried to grab the information being released by the two. Unfortunately, Konohamaru could understand every inch of this adult talk so he just sat there, listened to them with a smirk on his lips. 'Shikamaru-nii likes Temari-nee, huh? I got a plan in mind!' He turned to his 'subordinates' and motioned them to go after him.

"See you, Shikamaru-nii!" Said Moegi, running after the rather hyper Konohamaru.

"Leaving already?" Replied Shikamaru, but eventually just let them. Besides, he couldn't give them anything that they could do at the moment. Turning to Naruto, he proceeded. "What was it again?"

"Huh? Uh...," Naruto tried to recall what he was supposed to ask the other, his right thumb was on his jaw, while his other arm was aiding his left. "I forgot," then made his signature laugh.

"Seriously, Naruto," sighed Shikamaru. "Go find something else you could do to let your boredom out, or bother someone else. I got things to do."

"Eh, yeah," quickly replied the blonde male. "Sure, good luck, Shikamaru!"

Another sigh was let out by Shikamaru as he proceeded doing his work. An empty paper was in front of him, on the right side was group of cards. It contained the details he had to transfer on that piece of paper. So, he readied his pen, and began writing each of the genin's name down.

Temari Na-

"What the-?!" Quickly, he folded that paper and hid it in his pocket. He couldn't explain but his heart beat was racing rather fast. Somehow, he didn't want anyone to find out about the mistake that just occurred. His mind was flying somewhere, and thinking about Temari hadn't helped him at all. In fact, he wasn't even aware he was thinking about the Princess of Suna.