13. A note

[A/N: Shop/store... depends on where you live. I'm studying British English so I use 'shop'. Enjoy! :)

Anna's POV

The next day I went to work a bit late.
The message I received the day before was stuck in my head until late at night and it didn't let me sleep. I feel something between scared and worried. I really hope it's a wrong sent message or just a stupid childish joke.
The thought of telling Ji Yong and Nina crossed my mind for a moment but then I told myself not to worry them with such things when I'm not even sure I'm in danger.

Anyway, my boss, a middle-aged woman, normally wouldn't get angry if I'm a bit late. But that was in the beginning.
Now she has family problems. I think she divorces her husband and lately she behaves like some witch from a fairy tale.

Now, I'm standing in front of her while she yells at me. As for me, I'm not paying much attention to what she says. I like her, she is a good person but right now I can't stand her.

"..... Do you understand?" she asked.
"Yes, I do. I'll make sure not to repeat this mistake again." after these words of mine I bowed.
"We'll see." She got out and I was left alone at the bookshop.

Normally there aren't much people coming here but now the shop was perfectly empty. I sat on the chair behind the counter and took one of my favourite books - 'The return of the King' by J.R.R. Tolkien.

......
I was halfway through the book when the bell, attached to the door, rang. Announcing someone is getting into the shop. I put away the book and stood up.

"Hello, how can I help you?" I asked politely.

"Hello. I'm searching for 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak. Do you have it?" asked the man who entered the place.

"I'm not sure. Would you mind waiting for a little bit while I'm checking?"

"No, I don't."
I nodded and went searching for the book.

The books were in alphabetical order so I went straight to 'M' for Marcus. I found the writer and then the book. The man was lucky. There was only one copy left.
I took it and got back to the counter.

"You are lucky. It is the last one." I said while giving it to him. He smiled thankfully and paid.

He was just about to leave the bookshop when he stoped.
"Oh, I forgot." he said. I gave him a questioning look.

He noticed that and explained: "A man gave me this outside the shop." He pulled a piece of paper out of his pocket "And asked me to give it to you. It's a note, I think."

The man handed me the so-called note. Could it be Ji Yong? But why would he do that...?

"Um... Could you describe that man?" I asked.

"Well, I can't do this in detail but he wore black clothes and glasses. He had a dark brown hair. And I think there was a small scar on his left eyebrow but still I'm not sure."

"Thank you." I said, he nodded and got out of the shop.

I opened the folded up paper. There was written: "Very soon, sweetheart and you'll pay."

What's happening? Why is this guy sending me those things? Who is he?

I felt my head heavy and thanks God it was almost the end of my shift. After I finished work, I went at home with throbbing heart.

I was scared.