Chapter 6 - Reality Ruins Lives (Suho)

Suho's POV

 Her tiny hand was curled around my index finger, her long pianist fingers shaking even though they were clutched into a fist. She was worried, her bottom lip is trembling. The atmosphere in the small doctor's office was crawling with her nervousness, her fear and her anxiousness. Her eyelids were closed, her eyelashes casting shadows on her beautifully rounded, rosy red cheeks. Her plump baby lips were whispering a silent prayer that I couldn't pick up on at all, her lips were moving too fat and with so little enunciation that I couldn't possibly read them. The pad of her thumb was rubbing worried circles into my hand and I knew her heart was racing a thousand miles a minute. "Hey, hey, baby." I cooed, placing my hand on the side of her face in the hopes of gaining her attention.

 A small blossom of victory set deep in my chest when her lids slowly fluttered open and she looked up into my eyes, those beautiful caramel brown irises screamed of fear and anticipation. It was my job to calm her down, but I didn't know how to do that when I was having a mini-panic-attack myself. I mentally shook my head, reminding myself that I was the one that had to reassure her, so I sighed and gve her what I hoped was a tentative smile. "It's all gonna be okay, just calm down. It-"

 My reasurring lecture was interrupted as the doctor entered the room, followed by a nurse. I smiled at the doctor, completely sure he would smile back, completely sure that everything was okay. But he simply answered with me with a curt nod before his attention turned to Danica, who perked up in curiosity, her eyes now flying all over him to asses his body language. That was just like her, to asses someone's body language before they actually said what they wanted to say. 

 My eyes stay glued to Danica, watching in her eyes what she came to conclusion of. She was a good judge on things like this and I knew I could trust her skills, but at the moment I didn't particularly like what her skills were signaling at. Those caramel browns became glassy as her lips parted on a breath of air, there was no emotion behind those normally vibrant irises though. I knew she was retreating into herself, trying to close herself off from the bad news, to tell herself it wasn't true. My breath caught as I looked at the doctor whose head hung down in shame. "I'm sorry Mrs. Kim..." he paused and my heart broke before I glanced back at Danica who was still staring blankly at the doctor.

 "Well?" I managed past the growing lump in my throat, already knowing the impending fate. He sighed and looked at me with sorrow filled eyes.

 "She is a carrier for LCA as well.... your child has a 25% chance at being born blind." He ended the last word in a breath that he seemed to be holding on. There was silence in the room before the doctor mumbled something about giving us some time before he promptly walked out of the room, trailed by the nurse.

 "No." Danica's cracked voice suddenly snapped my attention from the door and to her face, which was streaked with tears. Her bottom lip wobbled as denial and determination set deep within the pit of her eyes. "No." This time her voice was stronger, clearer, less crackly and held all the stubborn denial that clouded her eyes. 

 "Danica-" I started to protest but she slipped off the examination table, the paper crinkling as her weight went from one place to another. I took in her whole 'body language reading' thing she do all the time. She was small in height, very small compared to my 6 foot 3." She was 5 foot, exactly, and she was a little spit fire who snapped back with a snarky and sarcastic remark when she felt deemed necessary. Her pregnant belly protruded from her small frame, a baby that was couple weeks behind in growth, a baby that now had a 25% chance of being blind at birth.

 "No! God dammit!" She screamed, stamping her foot with down on the tile floor with a loud smack, her chest was heaving and her eyes held an uncontrollable fire, tears streamed  freely down her cheeks as she looked up at me. "Danica, I'm sorry babe bu-" She once again interrupted me by shoving uselessly at my chest. "You're not sorry! No one is sorry! No one cares, okay?! So don't tell me that you are sorry!" She yelled before she brought her hands to cover her mouth, her eyes staring at my chest and yet I knew she wasn't exactly seeing it. Her small shoulders shook with silent sobs as her eyes redden even more.

 "It's my fault. Oh God it's all my fault." She moaned, closing her eyes once more, I knew blame was know falling on her like a stack of bricks falling on an innocent kitten. I grabbed her wrists and pulled them from her face before I wrapped them around my torso and pulled her into my chest, keeping her as close as possible without squishing her stomach and rubbing my hand down her back. "It's not your fault baby, we'll get through this together, I promise."

 "You-you don't get i-it though." She sniffled into my shirt, her voice muffled by the cotton material, yet she made no motion to move away so she could be heard more clearly, so i made no move to hear her better. "i'm the Mommy. I-I'm supposed to protect him from b-boogey men in the clos-set, from girl's wh-who break his he-heart. I'm su-supposed to keep him he-healthy!" Her arms tightened around me as I listened to her reasoning."N-now he has L-L-LCA and he is grow-owing too slow. It's all my fault!" She sobbed.

 "I'm sorry Danica, but you can't protect him from everything. I know it's hard but I'm here for you. Besides, he has a 75% chance that he won't be blind!" I reassured, she only sniffled. "It doesn't help." She mumbled and I sighed.

 "I know baby, I know."

A/N:

Listen to Adele's: Make You Feel My Love whilst reading this, makes it ten times sadder. I love you guys and thanks for reading! Commentary is greatly appreciated.

Vote & Comment :)

-Adie
xx