Ch18. New guy is a jerk and I'm his buddy

page two AGAIN!?!?!? number FREAKING 24?!??!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!!?

*dies from elation*

i apologize for the breivity of this chapter, but after reading all the excited questions from the last chapter I typed up one quick. I might write another tonight, depending on time and votes *hint hint* but I think you'll manage maybe 35 votes? I left it at another cliffhanger, sorry, but more would take ages to write.

j0$!3 [josie]

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

****

Oh.

My.

F*CKING.

GOD.

He's here. What do I say? What do I do? He was staring at me through his fine, almost-black coloured hair with equally dark, unreadable eyes. In my mind, I felt like a fish out of water, flopping around for oxygen. Him being here, in front of me, he was taking my breath away. In a bunch of bad ways but it felt good, in a sick sort of way. His eyes never once left mine, just looking in my eyes. How long did we stand there in that doorway? It felt like hours had just piled up with only us two there. Only when my heart stopped thundering in my chest did I say something.

'You're not Sam,' I blurted. Ohmygod, did I just say that?

He ran his hand through his floppy hair, creating rivulets where his fingers travelled. 'Nope. I was Julian last time I checked.'

I crossed my arms tightly and leaned against the doorframe. He just stared at me and I stared right back. The inky pools in his eyes hadn't changed a bit, but there were slight crease between his eyebrows, evidence that he had been frowning, a lot. Snap out Jack! This is Julian, remember? Right!

'Julian, what are you doing here?' I asked frigidly. Confusion clouded his face.

'You said I could come here to talk.'

'Yes, but I thought you were Sam.'

A muscle in his jaw twitched. 'Who's Sam?'

'My boyfriend,' I answered smugly. He shook his head disbelievingly.

'Moved on quickly, haven't you?'

'You're one to talk!' I shot back, my voice hard and flinty.

'Yes, I am. I have to talk to you about what happened.' He leaned a palm against the doorframe, as if it were some sort of life support.

'Just because you have to talk doesn't mean I have to listen Julian.' I clenched my fists in anger. I couldn't believe he would show up on my doorstep and expect me to forgive and forget. No chance in hell.

'Jacqueline, you're going to eventually listen to me. I won't stop trying.'

'You have until the count of three to get your ass off my porch.'

'I distinctly remember you telling me that this was an oversized mansion. Looking around me, I can see this is more of a marble entrance than a second-grade porch.' He chuckled.

'One.'

'You sure?'

'Two.'

'Okay, Miz Taylor. But mark my words, we will talk.'

He turned on his heel to walk away and I watched his retreating back.

'How'd you like the roses?' he called over his shoulder. 'I cut off all the thorns for you!'

Damn it! I should have known it was him. The thought hadn't occurred to me because I thought he had done what I'd asked him and gone to hell/disappear off the face of the Earth.

'You broke and entered my locker, creep!'

'It's not breaking and entering if you get the combo from the receptionist!'

Jerk. I slammed the door in response. Breathe Jack, breathe. In, out. My knees collapsed under me so I just slid down and rested my head on my knees. In, out. Julian was here and I was screwed unless I avoided him for his hopefully short stay. I grabbed my phone out of my pocked and typed a frantic text to Max.

'Call me asap. It's a disaster. Julian's here.'

If I thought I was texting Sam, it was really Julian, then it meant that Sam hadn't chosen me. I had been so sure! Why was my life like some of those ridiculous soap operas? I wanted normalcy and simplicity, not juggle complicated boyfriends and annoying gits. I needed therapy. Brownie time.

Matilda had thoughtfully left the brownies on the kitchen counter, already cut and stacked on a plate. There was a sticky note beside it.

'Don't eat too many Jack! Your teeth will rot!'

I grinned at her motherly worry.

'Sure sure, Matilda. One'll just do.' I took a small dessert plate out and filled a tall glass of cold milk up. I took just one (large, I admit) square and closed the door with my foot as I walked out. I was careful not to spill any milk on the staircase before entering my room.

It was stuffy in here. Must be all that steam from the bath, I thought. I set the snack on my desk before opening the door to my private balcony. It overlooked our expansive garden that included a fountain, a colourful garden and many trees to sit in for an afternoon read. I hit the radio button and music began to pour out of the hidden speakers in my room. 'Break Your Heart - Taio Cruz' was on. I began to hum.

Before eating, I walked to the bathroom and wiped off all the makeup with my remover. It took forever. Screw Lancôme and her amazing waterproofedness. If it took that much remover and an obscene amount of cotton pads, I was going au natural. I brushed my teeth before washing my face and moisturizing. All done. The curtains in my room were moving slightly, creating odd shadows as they billowed by the balcony. I was reaching for my pajamas hanging behind my door to change into when a hand clamped over my mouth.

'Don't scream,' rasped a low voice.

****

=O

vote for next chapter!!!