Ch9. New guy is a jerk and I'm his buddy

yay! i got the next chapter done! anyways, gonna keep it short you can go on and read. don't forget to comment and vote!!

-----------------------------------------

That got their attention.

'What do you mean, you don't want anything to do with me?'

Max's face and voice was incredulous. Sam's face mirrored Max's.

'Look, I have the shittest headache ever and this sure as hell isn't helping.'

I stared at both of them, watching their reactions. It sure as hell wasn't pretty.

Sam looked quite... furious? It was so frustrating! Why did boys have to so annoying? Max, on the other hand, looked almost broken. They both looked as if they wanted to interrupt me but I held up my hand.

'I mean it. If anyone says anything else, I swear I'll scream. Get out, both of you, and stay out.'

They were slack jawed, but I didn't give a damn. They were giving me a migraine and I just wanted to sleep it off. I pointed at the door and gave them (hopefully) the meanest look I could muster. Sam strode out immediately, slamming the door open, but Max gave me pleading look before pressing his lips lightly against my forehead.

'Jack, I'll never leave you, even if you want me to,' he murmured against my forehead before taking his leave.

I felt the tears welling up in my eyes as I lay down on the scratchy sheets to think my thoughts through. The decision was so hard to make.

If I dated Max, then Sam would most likely hate me, but I didn't really have a problem with that. It was if we broke up. Then what would happen? Would he

A. Not let go of our relationship = needy and annoying/not be friends at all

B. Hate me because we broke up = makes our friendship awkward/not be friends at all

C. Act like nothing had happened = go back to friendship (would it really be the same?)/not be friends at all

The options were pretty much dire. We probably would not be able to be best friends anymore, even if we were to remain friends if we broke up.

If I dated Sam, then Matt would resent our relationship and we wouldn't be friends. He might not say anything, but now I knew his feelings, I doubt he would stay quiet about any opinions he had.

If I didn't date any of them, then I would have a hate war in front of me. They would fight and push me for feelings, and I didn't know how much I could take of it.

All this thinking was worsening the pounding headache I had, and I couldn't come to any conclusion. I needed more time to think and try to fix the problem at hand.

****

I was released at lunch after an hours sleep. I still couldn't figure out what to do. I figured my best option to avoid any rash decisions was to wait it out. If they truly had feelings for me, they would wait. It was a long shot, but considering what I had to pick, it was the least painful option. Plus, it revealed how much they cared for me. I saw the usual crowd sitting at the table, but they hadn't noticed me entering the cafeteria, so I joined the lunch queue. The pizza smelled amazing, so I grabbed a slice along with an apple and chocolate milk. I was just getting out some money at the till when Sam grabbed my elbow.

'What?' I asked icily, handing the lady some cash.

'We need to talk.'

He stuck his hands in his pockets and looked at me steadily. Okay, time to put test number 1 in action.