12 - The Green Frog

I was in my room, completing my homework in history. The subject's name itself makes me sleepy. My cellphone buzzed and I realized I was drowsing off.

'1 Message from Sally.' "I read and a smile spread across my face.

Sally: "Hey gal, I have arranged for your pass to the senior party, so woohoo!!"

I could imagine her woohooing in her room.

Me: "Thanks Sal, but how do you think my brothers won't know that I too would go to the party, the venue is the same, you idiot!"

Sally: "Shut up you, you idiot! Look, we would enter from the backside of the party, I've all the plans set in my mind. You just come to my house."

Me: "Luv u smarty pants <3 "

Sally: "bye"

"Hey Ria, can I come in?" I turned back and saw Joe sitting on my bed, munching chittos.

"Joe, why do you ask permission, you are already very much in" I grumbled at him.

"You wanted me to take permission before entering, I took, now stop complaining, will you?" He said and I decided to avoid debating with him anymore.

"What's up? Your homework completed?" I asked him. "Oh that, we have time. But I wanted to talk to you now, Ria" He looked more thoughtful now. "And what's that?" I asked and took the remaining chittos from his hand and started munching. "

Last night we had this group talk, about you, I got to know the reason-" He said but I snapped, "Wait, you all had a group talk about me and I was not involved!!" I wanted to pull off his hair.

-"Nothing special, idiot!! But yeah, it was about you."

-"So what did you guys talk about?"

-"It was more Logan and Jack talking, it was about uncle Garry, Ria" I kept silence this time and Joe continued.

"It sounded so stupid to me and so unfair for your part. I understand that he had a rough past, but you did not do anything to him, right!!" Joe was fuming. I placed my hand on his shoulders but he jerked it away.

After some pause, he continued, "I am happy that we came out of that place, but-" he sighed, "I do miss our old home, Ria. We grew up there. There were so many happy moments when uncle used to save us from dad's scoldings and when aunt Milly used to make pancakes on my birthdays. There were even times when you and I played with Mark and Gino. I always wished that someday uncle Garry, Mark and Gino would change their attitude towards you. But..."

"I know, Joe," I said, "I wish things didn't go worse. And the thing I miss most is dad's happiness, I could see how much he misses his brother."

"But I think Mark is the main culprit", Joe said, "I remember so many times that he framed you wrong before uncle and aunt. That jerk!!"

"Joe, please, I don't wanna talk about the past anymore," I said and Joe nodded.

"Kids!! come down, dinner's ready!!" Alex shouted while he passed by the room.

"Dinner's ready, so early? It's just 7?" Joe spoke and I thought the same. We ran down and saw Andy in an apron. What the fish!!!

"Sit down, guys, I'll set up the plate. Ria, you will get the corner seat today." Alex said while he was placing the cutleries in so formal way that everyone was looking at each other in amusement.

He sat us down all. Dad took the head seat and Logan, as usual, took the other end head seat. Mom sat beside dad. And then John and Joe. They always sat together, no idea why. Jack sat on the other end of the broader side and the next two seats were empty for Andy and Alex, I guess.