Chapter 39

Here I stand, sheltered beneath a canopy of leafy branches, and hidden behind a broad tree trunk. I couldn't stop myself from being here, I knew it might have benefitted me greatly if I did come and happen to stumble upon some more information.

So here I am at Eddie's funeral, hiding, like the criminal that I am.

I had read about Eddie's funeral in the paper and Justine had also mentioned it to me once or twice. My desperation to find out more about Eddie's son had been riding me all week, while the news broadcasted continuously about his death - along with Destiny's of course. Her death wasn't as interesting as his though. Destiny mostly faded into the background when the story arose. I can just imagine how much it would have pissed her off if she knew how little she had mattered.

The general idea on how the murders played out is that Destiny killed Eddie, then someone got to Destiny right after. The problem with that theory is that there is no evidence of a third person at the scene of the crime, which has left the police scratching their heads.

The wind picks up suddenly, sending my hair fluttering about my face. I pull my hood over my head further to ensure my concealment.

Eddie's family had selected Mountain View Cemetery as his final resting place, and I completely understood why. It is such a beautiful and peaceful place to send off a loved one. The other tomb stones do not give you a sense of forgotten souls as they are well cared for, and the lush green grass and tall swaying trees seem to almost encompass you with comfort and acceptance all at once.

The weather is working in their favour so far, a gentle breeze filters through the surrounding trees, rustling the leaves and bringing with it a sense of foreboding calm like no other.

One hundred or so metres away from me the relatives, friends and acquaintances of Eddie stand sombrely around the shiny wooden casket. Some people have their heads bowed, others stand closely huddled together, supporting one another or sobbing quietly to each other.

My eyes filter through the crowd of people in the distance, curious to see whether I recognise anyone. I notice Eddie's mother leaning up against an unknown middle aged woman, whose dark hair is pulled back in a tight bun at the base of her neck, and the younger woman has her arm wrapped securely around Eddie's mothers shoulders. I don't know much about Eddie's family so I haven't a clue who this other woman might be.

Following the lowering of the coffin, the large crowd begins to disperse, slowly filtering out in different directions, towards different cars.

Eddie's mother and the middle aged woman gradually move toward me. Their long, dark skirts sway along with their slow movements. I crouch down and pretend to be mourning by another tombstone while I wait out their passing, hoping to catch something they might say.

I hear the two women muttering between themselves, but the words don't become clear to me right away.

" - couldn't tell you." The younger woman says in a hushed tone.

"He would have told me." Eddie's mother says, sniffling. "He told me everything."

"Not everything. He couldn't. You have got to believe me, Ma."

The middle aged woman must be Eddie's sister, I surmise.

"There's nothing to believe Rosalind, it's not true."

Rosalind sighs and says, "You might not accept it, but above all else, he brought upon his own demise."

"Do not speak of such things here, Rosalind, it's disrespectful." Her mother chides.