Chapter 38

What a scene.

Two corpses. One male tied down and covered in blood, and one woman slumped on the concrete floor - also covered in blood.

The media will love this story. The mystery of it. It seems as though the woman and man were both killed together by one person, but why would only the man be tied down? Wouldn't it make more sense for them both to be bound?

I smirk to myself at the mere thought of it.

This scene is one of pure mystery. I can just see the headlines now.

Man found bound and slaughtered, female discovered dead at his feet.

Blood soaked warehouse holds two bodies but no leads.

Looking again at the scene in front of me, I'm actually not concerned about a clean up. I had kept my gloves on so that I had no risk of leaving fingerprints. I had briefly made contact with Eddie but that was only to move him and even then, I still had my hands covered. I always keep my hair tied back tightly in a no-nonsense bun when I'm at the scene of the crime to ensure I leave no trace of my identity, every single hair is accounted for before I act.

I scour the area for anything I might have missed to incriminate me, but find nothing.

My dagger and paring knife still lie beside Destiny's body, and that's where they will stay. I'm a little reluctant to part ways with them but I know it makes more sense if I leave them.

The only thing holding me up now is getting the hell out of here. There's no way I'm taking either of the cars out the back of the building. It's best I leave them where they are. I'll have to walk. At least a few miles away from here, then I can catch a cab to my own car.

Retrieving my duffle bag from the concrete floor, I take one last glance about the room and let the satisfaction slide through my veins, filling me with contentedness and settling my previously uncertain mind.

Turning in place, I wander back out through the rear door and onto the gravel where the two vehicles sit and shall stay until the bodies are found.

Popping my headphones in, I scroll through my music library looking for something to accompany me on my stroll. Smirking to myself, I select Ain't No Rest For The Wicked by Cage The Elephant. The song instantly perks me up, putting a little spring into my steps.

As I walk, I pull my phone out to check for any messages. There's only one from Alex. 

That's ok. Take your time, I know you have had a lot on your shoulders lately. Just let me know when you will be home.

Ever the support system, I can always rely on Alex not to stress me out. I glance at my watch, noticing the time is 8.34pm. A fair bit later than I'd usually get home but I'm not at all concerned. I've had later nights at work - and I mean real work - not my little nightly expeditions on the hunt.

Having walked a few blocks away from the location and into a more civilised area, I make a call for a cab and organise for it to pick me up from a residential street nearby - it's definitely less suspect that way.

I find a dark house and stand on the curb, it's likely to look like I've just come from there that way. The taxi arrives only a minute or two later and I settle myself in for the short drive to my car. I then remove my headphones.

"How's it going?" The driver asks me after a minute of driving.

I hadn't expected a chatty driver so I try to keep conversation to a minimum.