Chapter 11

I was in a bad mood on Friday.

And when I say bad mood I mean I-want-to-rip-out-throats-but-that's-too-violent bad mood.

I tried my best to go about my work day as usual, but I decided that I'd keep a clear distance between myself and most people in the office. In particular I steered clear of Wynns. So far I had been able to and it was now 3.36pm. Only a few hours left now and then I'm home free.

The cause of my mood was due to lack of sleep. I was just so fucking pissed off that I'd had another dream last night, and not just the fact that I'd had one, but that it took up the whole fucking night!

I don't feel like I've had a single wink of sleep. I look like shit. My hair wouldn't behave either, just to further frustrate me. I tried unsuccessfully for 15 minutes this morning to get it to sit flat and tame, but it wanted to curl this way and that and frizz and tickle me. I gave up my struggle and pulled it all up on top of my head, in a somewhat tidy top knot.

Oh, how I'd very much love to call it a day and duck out of the office, but I can't imagine getting away with cutting my day short.

On top of it all, I have the strongest urge to punch the next person who asks me how I am. So it's safe to say that I'm a ticking time bomb.

What I need is for this part of my day to be over, the work part. Once I've left work I can tell I'll be fine again. I just need to be away from here.

My thoughts are interrupted by the worst possible person. Mr Dennis Wynns. My boss. Just great!

I steel myself for whatever he's got to say.

"Miss Roskam..." I'm holding my breath. "....I noticed that you completed the paperwork for the Carters file last night. I'm pleasantly surprised. This wasn't due for completion for a fortnight yet."

I let out the breath slowly and decide not to talk unless absolutely necessary, so I just nod.

"And I was thinking, since you're ahead on your workload, you might as well call it a day. I don't require your services for the rest of the day. So if you would like, you may pack up and leave, start fresh on Monday. Don't get too excited though. This is a once off. I just hate when you're sitting around on your ass not doing anything useful. Now get out of my sight."

Oh my gosh. This honestly never happens. Maybe he can sense the pure white rage flowing out of me in waves? In any case I'm not complaining. I NEED to get out of here.

"Thank you Sir. I'll leave immediately." I say with a little too much excitement in my voice. But I can't help it.

He narrows his eyes at me.
"Yes, well don't think too much into it. You got lucky this week. Don't go thinking my kindness will span any further." He says with a grumble, then stalks back into his office and roughly closes the door.

His kindness? He probably plans on leaving early too and it looks better on him if I'm not here working on my own. Pfft, and he thinks he's kind. Did he even hear himself speaking? Me not doing anything useful, my ass. I work fucking hard. He would never get anything done if it weren't for me, the stupid prick!

My temper is not waning so I decide I need to make a move instantly. I neatly stack up my papers and put them in my top draw for later. I grab my bag and throw in my bottle of water and cell phone and make a beeline for the elevators.

When I'm standing in front of the shiny doors I breath a sigh of relief. I watch the little numbers at the top illuminate at the different levels, as it makes it's way to me and then when the doors open to a delightful little ding I quickly step into the bright elevator lighting.

Just as the doors are about to close a hand stops them, brilliant. Who the hell has decided to invade my space now? When Peter steps in, I instantly relax.

"Oh hey Dani. Looks like you got a get out of jail free card." He laughs.

I can't help but laugh along. I get a little hysterical, cackling and keeling over holding my stomach laughing. When I stop I see Peter staring at me with a very serious look on his face.

"Are you good? Because what I said wasn't that funny." He says looking at me concerned.

Ah crap. I let a little too much of the crazy out again. I compose my facial features into a more relaxed nature and respond.

"Yeah, I'm good. I'm sorry if I freaked you out there, I've just had a hell of a week. I've barely slept and I really needed to get away today. I did get lucky in there and I think I've lost a little of my sanity this week. I plan to get it back this weekend." I smile.

I'm slowly starting to feel normal again. Which is a good sign.

"I see.... well hopefully you can relax and get some rest. I'm off to Las Vegas this weekend with the fam. I need a bit of a getaway too. The kids haven't seen me much either, so some quality time wouldn't go astray. Maybe I'll get some action with the missus too...." He winks and elbows me.

I laugh.

"Good luck with that one. I'll see you next week?"

"Yeah unfortunately. I'll be back on Wednesday. But the short week will be brilliant too so I can't complain." He says.

The elevator finishes it's descent. We say brief good byes to one another and walk out of the building in different directions.

As I'm walking towards the subway, I see a man walking towards me. He looks so familiar. As I'm racking my brains trying to figure out where I know the guy from, it occurs to me.

The man from the basement. I hadn't even let thoughts of last night work their way into my mind today. I was in such a rotten mood that I thought it best to leave my sleuthing to Monday.

Now that he's near me though, I can't help but pay attention to him.

He's dressed in a dark suit. He's average in height. Not very well built. Chocolate brown hair, combed back professionally. He looks like any other regular joe going about his day. He's talking on his cell animatedly, with a cigarette in his other hand. He looks angry. As he's passing me, I over hear a few words.

"-idea! How am I supposed to know? You knew her. Not me." He growls at the person on the other end of the line. He stops to finish his cigarette at a trash can and continues talking.

I stop and pretend to be looking for something in my bag at a bench seat and listen some more.

"Don't abuse me! I met the girl once. We had a drink at the pub and then we went our separate ways. I don't know what happened to her after that." He says exasperated.

"Don't give me that shit! She sat down and started talking to me. I haven't done anything wrong." He squishes out his cigarette and drops it in the bin.

"I couldn't even tell you what her name was. All I know is she came onto me. Now fuck off. I've got shit to do." He ends the call, glaring at it with pure hatred.

He then lifts up his head and spares me a quick glance and a wink, before continuing on the path he was walking previously.

I physically shiver, trying to shake off the gross feeling running through me and continue walking back the way I started towards the subway.