Chapter 15

At around 9am, I reluctantly drag my extremely exhausted ass out of bed. After trekking home in the early hours of the morning, I was still in a zombie like state, even after a few more hours sleep.

I wish I could have stayed in my comfy bed a few hours longer, but I had no choice in the matter. If I wasn't up, dressed and ready to go by 10am when Alyssa arrives, I knew I'd have hell to pay. In all honesty, I fear her wrath of fury more than that of anyone else I know. She's a really fucking scary woman when things don't go to plan, especially where a shopping expedition  is involved.

Shuffling around the bedroom, I pull open my wardrobe doors, step back and stare at the contents for a long time. Just hoping some ensemble will magically appear in front of me, so I don't have to decide on an outfit. When my brain finally gives up on the possibility of having this happen, I pluck hastily at a pair of faded denim cut offs and then rummage around for a loose fitting black shirt. Alyssa knows by now not to bitch about my clothing choices, I'm not changing my style for anyone. Take me as I am, I say.

I'm not much of a girly-girl. I hate spending hours finding clothing to wear. I'm an avid lover of jeans and tees. I guess you might call me a tomboy. I don't mind wearing skirts and dresses for work or when the occasion or weather asks for it, but other than that, you would have to force me in them.

I hop around on one foot and then the other while I shimmy my pants up over my thighs, doing my best not to fall down. I then fumble around longer than normal to button them up. I throw my shirt over my head and pull it down to cover my stomach. I next force my tired legs in the direction of the kitchen and switch on the coffee machine. Ditz is trailing behind me into every room I go to, being the loyal pup that she is.

The bathroom is my next location. I brush my hair and plait it haphazardly, spritzing a little perfume on my neck and into the air to faintly scent my body.

I then wander out and grab the newspaper from the front door and lay it out flat on the dining table beside my steaming cappuccino. Grabbing an apple from the fruit bowl I bite into it and relish in the sweet flavour hitting my tongue.

Pulling out my chair, I sit and read the front page. Searching for particular news. It doesn't take me long to find what I'm looking for.

Victim Identified

Richard Malcolm Caruso, 42 has been confirmed as the victim of the brutal murder in Garfield Park on July 23rd.

After identifying the victim, the lead investigators carried out a routine background check in order to possibly discover the motive of the murderer.

Interestingly, Richard Caruso had an extensive history of battery and assault. Some of which had him in prison for a combined total of 14 years.

There were no traces of evidence at the scene to assist detectives in their search for the assailant.

Police cannot say whether this crime relates to the prior incident involving the murder of the victim in the alley - whom we are now permitted to release the identity of. The victims name was Gregory Darby, 39. He had been previously charged with grievous bodily harm against his wife and child.

The fact that both victims had a history of physical abuse does not under any circumstance imply that the crimes were related.

Anyone who may have witnessed either of these gruesome crimes or may have seen anything suspicious is asked to come forward and assist police in their ongoing investigation.

Breathing a sigh of relief I recline back in my seat and drop my arm down to scratch Ditz behind her ear.

"Morning." Alex says to me shortly, while walking into the kitchen.