Chapter 19

Monday had come around again.

Trudging my way into the office, listening to the rhythmic click-clacking of my heels on the polished concrete floor, I'm surprised to find that I'm really hating having to be here today.

Normally I don't mind Mondays.
Yes, I understand how weird that sounds. Most people hate the start of their work week, I happen to be the opposite. That is mainly due to the fact that on Monday, I don't have to cram. Work doesn't get crazy until Wednesday/Thursday and that's only because everyone has put off the important stuff until the last minute.

I am better organised than that however, I start the high priority cases early, then I don't need to rush too much towards the deadline.

Placing my bag underneath my desk and sitting in my chair, I pull open my top desk draw and grab out the weeks priority work. I shuffle through and organise them in terms of urgency. At least that's what I thought I was doing until I catch myself staring into space, absently trailing my fingers through my chestnut, brown hair as I think again about my eventful weekend. Im still on a bit of a high from it, if I'm completely honest with myself. I wonder what someone would think of me if they knew...

My eyes start to glaze over and I shake my head once swiftly, attempting to rid myself of the thought.

I cannot think about that. There's not even a possibility that someone would know. Just thinking about it makes me think that someone will know, kind of like they will be able to sense my thoughts. I flick my eyes around the spacious office area, only to notice that there's a lack of staff around. Why I hadn't noticed sooner is beyond me. I frown, confused. What time is it?

Looking down at my watch, I see it's only 6.43am. Crap. What possessed me to get here this early?! How did I not know the time before now? Bewildered, I think over my morning. I vaguely remember waking up and getting ready, but I don't recall my journey into work, bizarrely. I'm seriously spacing out lately. There's no point me stressing over it when I'm already here.

Pulling out my personal laptop from my bag, I bring up the news to see whether anything else has been released.

The first image to pop up is a full view image of Charles' house. The headline reads A Killers Karma?

The headline sure has a nice ring to it, I smirk, then stop myself and flick my eyes around the room again.

Pressing my lips together and leaning forward a little, I click on the headline to read more.

Charles Dennis Porter, 35 was found slain in his home on Sunday morning. His body was discovered by an acquaintance of his when he failed to appear at a meeting that morning. The victims body was found secured to a chair in his basement.

The most intriguing part of this case however, is that along with Charles Porters body, the bodies of several other victims were discovered in a freezer unit in his basement, suggesting that Charles himself had a dark past of his own.

Police are now looking into his background and attempting to match the bodies to missing persons and cold case crimes.

Further investigation is underway into the murders of Charles Porter, Gregory Darby and Richard Caruso to determine whether the murders have any common factors.

Sitting back in my seat, I decide that I need to see whether we have any information about my victims here at the office. It's a good time for me to look because of the lack of people around.

Strolling over to our records room and closing the door behind me, I walk over to our filing cabinets and start looking for each of the names.

I find Caruso first.