Chapter 36

Destiny sat slumped in her drivers seat, gaze focused on her cellphone's bright screen, completely unaware of my appearance. I'd been standing there for a good few minutes to see just how long it would take her to notice me.

After realising she might not at all I give up and rap my knuckles on her window twice, sharply.

Shooting straight up in her seat, she loses grip on her cell and I watch as it drops unceremoniously to the floor. Eyes wide, she turns to look out the window then glares at me fiercely.

Rolling down her window she says, "What the fuck was that for?!"

"You should be more aware of your surroundings. I was merely alerting you to the fact." I shrug.

"There was no need to scare the life out of me."

"If you say so. On more pressing matters, you are driving us to the destination. It's imperative that you do. My car may have been seen by someone at the location, I don't want anything to be linked tonight, got it?"

"Imperative?"

"Yes, imperative. It means that it's absolutely necessary. Now let me in your car."

"I know what it means, I just wanted to know why it's so important." She says scrutinising me.

"I already told you. My car might have been seen. Yours hasn't. It's safer that way. Now, let me in before I change my mind about this."

"Okay, okay. It's open."

I stalk around the car, scanning the area for any unwanted attention. The parking lot is quiet though. I had chosen this particular store because of its location. The fact that it's not hidden plays well into my hands too. If I were to be seen at an out of the way store, it would seem suspect, whereas this store is in sight of people. I can merely explain that I'd met up with a friend and went shopping or for a coffee or something of that description.

"Where to?" Destiny asks, facing me.

Dressed in dark sweat pants and a hooded jumper, I can't help but think how much she looks like a burglar ready for action. I chuckle to myself once before answering.

"Just drive, take a left out of the parking lot." I look away and towards my car that I've parked around the corner amongst other vehicles.

"What was funny?" Destiny asks, pulling out of the car park.

"You. Your outfit."

"What's wrong with it? And what about me?" She frowns.

"You expect me to take you seriously when I told you to dress casual and not draw attention to yourself, yet you sit there dressed in black sweats like you're ready to rob a 7/11. That's what's wrong with it." I shake my head.

"Not like it hasn't worked before." She spits back.

"Right here." I point.

She indicates and turns saying, "And this is casual."

"Of course, dark clothes make sense but I meant casual as in, jeans and a jacket or something, not that." I gesture to her clothing. "It will have to do though, I'm not going to wait for you at your place to change because you didn't think about this well enough."

"I did think about it. I never imagined you would have an issue with what I would wear."

"You have to expect everything. If someone saw me on the street, they wouldn't suspect I was up to anything dressed in jeans and a dark jacket as I am, but you, well, we have already covered that."