Chapter 22

To say the rest of the week was tumultuous, would be biggest the understatement of the year.

Dennis was doing everything in his power to frustrate me, whether he was aware of it or not, I'm not sure, but it was undoubtably working. I'd had more thoughts of slaughtering him in a week than I'd had in my entire time working for the firm. The longer the stretches of time that I'm around the foul, excuse for a man, the worse my thoughts were. My patience was waning and I was afraid of what I might do or say next.

There was, however, one thing holding me together, and that was knowing that I was going to work for Peter soon.

Peter had been giving me updates, letting me know that it was in motion, but that as he had said prior, he couldn't get it finalised any sooner than Monday the following week. I could handle that, at least I was telling myself that I was able to handle it. He had become my saving grace after all, I had to keep it together.

So in order to keep my head out of the death clouds - as I've decided to name them - I've had to start doing things to let out my anger before going to work, otherwise I feared I was at risk of spontaneously combusting. I'd attempted meditating, because I've heard it's calming, but I got bored. I'd tried yoga but it just wasn't my thing. I had however, discovered that boxing was my forte and exactly what I needed to vent my anger.

I had been spending an hour each morning at the gym, punching and kicking and elbowing the punching bag and the speed ball. I still don't know how to explain my knowledge when it comes to my ability to beat the shit out of things - and people - but I can't say I don't enjoy it. The rhythmic sound of my fists against the bag and the continuous thumping of the speed ball, calmed me like nothing else - well, aside from killing that is.

I'd been stewing over my last deadly encounter much more than what was healthy, but knowing I had a witness to my crime made me understandably uneasy. Although, in my mind, I felt I could trust this girl. Initially, I thought I'd have to end her life too - which would be working against my natural instincts - to keep her from speaking out, but when she spoke to me I could tell that she was telling the truth. She was more than grateful that I'd been there when I had been. I'd saved her. That thought alone made my heart swell with pride.

I'd put it upon myself to look through our records for her name because I'd feared the worst, but nothing came about. I had then called on my friend at the local police department and he had discovered that Destiny James - yes that's her real name - works for Macy's in town, and had done so for several years. I couldn't figure out her relation to those so called 'nasty people' that had been harming her, but I planned to contact her and find out the link. As much as I kept telling myself not to think about her, my mind travelled to thoughts of her of their own accord.

I'd also proceeded to start following Belinda Barker after I'd seen her park near a public bus stop and then hop on a bus full of school children. I followed her and the bus after that, and watched her hop off the bus with two little girls and walk them almost all the way home from their stop. This didn't sit right with me, so I followed her again the following day and she did the exact same thing. I knew she couldn't possibly know these children, she hadn't been in the area long enough to.

To say I had been keeping busy was a minimisation of my week in total.

On top of that, I'd also been keeping an eye on the news updates, I wanted to know if the police had discovered whose body parts were left in that freezer. It was the least they could do. I had done all the real work in revealing that monster to the world.

The most the authorities would give away to the media so far was that, yes, Charles Porter had been a serial killer. They couldn't explain how he had gotten away with it for so long, or why there had been no notice of his criminal actions over the years. Somehow, he had kept out of the eyes of his neighbours and had been bringing home these girls and murdering them at all hours of the night.