Chapter 30

I'm not cut out for all this stress.

You would probably assume someone in my profession would be able to handle a shit ton of it. Now don't get me wrong, I can, but not when it involves my personal life too - and I mean my very personal life. My darker side or whatever the fuck you want to call it.

All I'm saying is that a person - any person - shouldn't ever have to try and deal with everything the way I'm having to.

My new career working in family law is going great, it's still incredibly busy - which I'm used to - and I've settled in without a problem. But having to hide so much from the people I care about and try to control things out of my control, is turning my mind into a mass of knots and snags which in turn is giving me constant headaches and draining me more than I've ever experienced before. It's all too much.

As long as I don't have another mystery outing without my immediate knowledge I think I might be ok, but if I do, all hell will break loose. I can feel the flood gates of my mind bearing all the weight of my dramas and it won't hold for long. I'm literally on the brink of total destruction. I've been worrying about this collapse of emotions for a while now, and I might have to experience it before too long.

And to make matters ultimately worse, I've still got to meet with Destiny to have a chat, which I'm also completely dreading.

Looking at my watch I see its nearly half past twelve, so I decide to get a head start and wait downstairs for her. It will also give me a few minutes to prepare myself for the information she will unload onto me.

Walking outside, the sun hits my skin and warms me instantly. I turn my face towards the light for a moment, relishing in the suns heat before looking around the area. My gaze flits across the pavement where I find Destiny sat on a bench waiting for me. She's early, bloody brilliant.

I take a breath and stroll towards her. She hasn't spotted me yet, she's too focused on her cell.

When I sit beside her she turns her head lazily and surprise registers on her face.

"Hi." Destiny says, after the shock of my sudden appearance dies away.

"Let's make this quick, I've got things to do." I say flippantly, looking again at my watch to further push my point.

"Ok. What do you want to know?"

"Who were they?" I say, keeping my words vague so as not to raise any unwanted attention.

"Just some guys who worked for a man named Eddie, I don't know much about him though." Destiny flicks her gaze away to inspect her ragged nails, seemingly bored by our conversation.

"Do you know Eddie's last name?"

Without looking at me she says, "Yeah, it's Pistanchi. I've heard it a few times, along with some pretty bad things about what he's done, whether they're true or not I don't know but it's definitely concerning." She twists a strand of hair around her finger and twirls it casually.

Frowning, I try to gauge her relaxed demeanour, "Okay... Do you know what he's involved in?"

Destiny looks at me again. "No, just rumours. Look, I'll be straight with you. I admit that I made a mistake, I owed those guys some money and they wouldn't give me time to repay them."

She's being very straight forward about all of this, it's got me wondering where she's going with the conversation.

I stare at her and wait for her to meet my gaze. When she does, the look in her eyes shows me just how determined she is for me to take her word, to believe her.