Chapter 40

Absorbed in a complicated case, it takes me several long seconds to notice my phone buzzing beside me on my desk.

I reluctantly drag my attention away and see Alyssa's cheesy face filling my cellphones screen - she insisted upon a picture the last time we saw each other and now I'm glad she did - the image immediately changes my mood to a lighter, more relaxed one while I answer the call cheerily.

"Lyss, hey. How are you?"

"I'm great, you?" She replies happily.

"Good too, just busy with a case at the moment, what's up?"

"Well, I'm in the area and thought we should catch up, if you can get away that is."

"Yeah, definitely. I'll just finish this up. What time were you thinking?" I take a peek at my watch. 1.23pm. It's later than I thought. Time has really gotten away from me today.

"Now?" I hear her say through the phone and from behind me.

I swivel around in my seat, surprised.
Alyssa stands behind my desk, wearing an above the knee length white dress, a short sleeved denim jacket and black heels showcasing her freshly pedicured toenails.

"Oh. You're here." I say into the phone that's still glued to my ear.

"I am, so we should hang up before this starts looking ridiculous." Alyssa lowers her cell, shoving it into her handbag and then looks up to smile at me.

I copy her actions, but instead place my cell on my desk.

"Who let you in?" I ask, curious.

Alyssa laughs, "You make it sound like I'm a risk to society." She laughs some more then says, "No, I met some guy named Peter in the lobby, mentioned you and he said I could follow him up. So here I am. Oh, that's him over there." She points at Peter who waves at me.

"Yeah that's my boss. He's a very lax guy. He would let just about anyone up."

"So, care for a bite to eat? I know you haven't eaten, Peter said you haven't left your desk practically all day. A girls gotta eat, let's get going." She gestures over her shoulder with her perfectly manicured thumb.

"Alright, let's go then." I grab my phone and purse, making sure to put my files away in my draw before departing, then I follow Alyssa to the lifts.

"So how've you been?" I ask while we wait for the elevator.

"Good. Been working flat out lately. When I found out I had today off, I knew I had to see my favorite person while I had the chance." She throws me another cheesy grin.

"You sweetheart, you. I'm glad you made the time for me, I needed to get away from the desk for a bit, this case is taking up precious eating time. You sure know the way to my heart." I laugh.

The elevator arrives and we pile in.

"Where have you been lately? I lost track after you went to Milan. I'm sure you loved it."

"Oh my gosh, yes. Fashion is insane there! I could have spent my life savings there if I wasn't careful. But my client kept me on my toes, by that I mean busy, constantly. They were very particular and had to have the best quality of everything, drove me nuts. The pay packet made up for that though. I think I might buy another car, just for the hell of it." She says, eyes twinkling mischievously.

"I don't know how you do it, shopping, exotic food, the destinations. Such a tough life." I kid.

Alyssa pushes my shoulder playfully as we disembark from the elevator.