Chapter 2

The next day, I find myself sitting quietly at my desk, mulling obsessively over my really strange dream. Strange being a great understatement for the events that I'd somewhat lived through. Because a dream is just a dream, something you create from daily occurrences, nothing more. But despite knowing this, I am battling with keeping it all from returning to my mind.

What I feel I know and what I feel is a fact, is that I'm sure it only came about because of the heat throughout the night - the temperature didn't get below seventy degrees. I was uncomfortably warm all night, perhaps you could say I was even a little delirious.

Yes, that's all it was, just a delirious dream brought about by the temperature.
I am well known for having a very vivid imagination, so it shouldn't be a surprise to me at all that I whipped up that little concoction of bizarro land. I mean, I couldn't ever possibly be a kick ass fighter chick, with skills that can incapacitate a person with little to no effort. That chick would be my polar opposite. I don't have the reflexes nor the strength to pull that sort of deal off.

I'm unable to shake the realness of it though, I think I'm definitely losing my mind after last night.
Not only that, but I'm absolutely certain that I'm losing a tiny piece of my sanity every single day that I have to sit my behind down at this desk.

I should just put it out of my mind and get on with my day. Stop daydreaming, Dani! You have a job to do.

I resist the deep urge to groan out loud.
My job. Something I wish weren't a drama in itself, but it is, unfortunately.
Okay, so I should probably mention what it is that I do. I'm an associate attorney at Wynns and Bolton Law, which is a fantastic position to have and I love the work I do, but not who I work for.

That thought alone reminds me that The Leader of the Slimeballs will be on my ass if I don't get some work done today.
Ah, and speak of the devil.

My sight finds him staring me down, "Miss Roskam! Where is the case file for Mr Packard that I asked for twenty minutes ago?" He shouts at me from his office door.

"I've got it ri-"

He cuts me off.

"Well, I do not have all day to wait for you to catch up to the rest of the world. I want it on my desk in five minutes, no excuses. I've got meetings to attend today and I won't make them on time if you're constantly off with the bloody fairies, so get your head outta the clouds and back into the real world!" He snaps at me, with spittle flying through the air and through his nasty, coffee stained teeth.

"Certainly Mr Wynns, I'll be right there." I respond with as much patience in my voice as I can muster. I give him a sweet smile to soften his attitude, which normally cools him down, but today unfortunately is not that day.

"Don't try and butter me up Danica, I've had just about enough of you and your daydreaming for a life time, so get yourself back on track or I'll find someone who can keep up with the work here." He throws back at me with the ugliest scowl on his face, that's not saying much considering he's such an ugly human being as it is.

I just nod in response, my blood is absolutely boiling beneath my skin and I'd very much like to run over to him and cut him down where he stands.

Whoa.
My thoughts grind to a stop.

Ok, where did that come from?
I'm the least violent person I know.
I'm definitely out of sorts today. Best to keep my mouth shut and just do my work, who knows what I'll do or say next.

Deep breaths and chai tea keep me calm throughout the rest of the day. And with no further outbursts from the jerk I get to call my boss, I am able to get through my work without a hitch.

On the way home I stop at the liquor store for a bottle of vodka and some light snacks. I'd normally ignore these kinds of treats, but tonight I feel I deserve it for my self control in the office. Considering normally I'd make a beeline for the ladies room and scream into the back of my hand or kick a wall to let go of my frustrations. I'm not a violent person, but I still have my little outbursts after dealing with Him day in, day out.

As I'm walking in the front door of the home Alex - my very understanding and supportive boyfriend - and I share, I hear the TV on in the lounge with the news going.

"Hey, I'm home!" I call to Alex who is surely sat in front of the TV with our pug Ditz in his lap.

"Hey babe, how was your day?" He calls back while I remove my shoes and put my bag down.

"Oh, you know, the usual. I'm terrible at my job and can't do anything right, but I just couldn't focus today so I think I was asking Him for it..."

When Alex doesn't respond, I peek my head around the wall to see what's distracted him, and at the same moment he turns his head slightly to the side and calls out, "Babe, you should really see this..."

I walk into the room, focusing my attention on the television screen, and the story that has popped up as BREAKING NEWS in bright red with white lettering scrolls the top of the screen.

The camera pans slowly over a large blocked off crime scene, complete with flashing emergency lights, detectives with notepads in hands and police crime scene tape surrounding the spacious area. The place is absolutely buzzing with action. Several camera men are set up around the area with reporters talking animatedly into the camera lenses and gesturing behind them to the scene beyond.

As I'm stood there watching it all unfold, the scene starts to become all too familiar to me. The scummy looking alley and the soggy, cardboard boxes piled up alongside it. The only thing that's missing is the body...

Oh. My. Gosh.

No.

This can't be...

:::::::::::::::::::::;;;

Ahh, damn me. A cliffhanger.

I can't believe I just did that.

I can't help myself, I love cliffhangers. I'm bound to mention my love of cliffhangers in the chapters to come so don't hate on me, it keeps the story fun!

Thanks for reading, I'd love to hear from you. Am I explaining enough to you? Is the storyline intriguing thus far? Etc etc.

I'm probably going to start putting in song suggestions too. Songs that set the scene for me and what not.

Any who, see you at the next chapters end!

Shantelle 😜