Chapter 12

As I made my way home, I found myself consumed by thoughts of the man's conversation, with whoever was on the other end of the line. Charles Porter, thats his name. I really need to find out more about his guy.

The more I thought about the phone call, the more I was coming to believe that he must have harmed that girl. Although there wasn't really anything to confirm my suspicions, I feel like I'm right about this. Why else would I be following the guy? Plus, I did witness him cleaning up after a suspected murder. It can't have been anything else. I mean come on, he had body parts in his freaking freezer. No regular person does that!

It also kind of sounded to me like he didn't feel at fault for anything either. (Thats if he has done something to her.) But even so, that's sure how it came across from my end of it. I heard no remorse in his tone of voice at all. Maybe he doesn't feel guilty, maybe he feels like he did the right thing?

It wouldn't surprise me in the least, to find that there are men out there that think that if a girl talks to a guy it's suddenly her fault that she was raped or murdered or whatever else.

My anger flares suddenly.

Ugh, some men disgust me.

Don't get me wrong, there are many, many decent men out there. I do not hate the opposite sex. There are just as many psychotic women out there to match that of the men. Even more maybe. I might even be included on that list....

The point I'm trying to make here is that too many men get away with this kind of thing. Slowly, I can feel my rage building, the heat flaring behind my eyes, my fists clenched tightly.

They need to be punished. They don't deserve to be alive. They don't deserve to breath the same air as me!

Instantly my thoughts catch up to my emotions and my reasoning kicks in.

Shit! Where did that come from?!

Those were not my normal thoughts. I wouldn't be thinking like that. I DONT think like that. I release my fists, letting the circulation back through and returning the colour to my knuckles. Taking deep breaths all the while to calm my thumping heart.

Something is really wrong with me at the moment. I can't keep my thoughts in check.

I'm walking in the doorway still consumed by my harrowing thoughts, when Alex appears in front of me.

"Hey beautiful." He says with a drop dead gorgeous smile on his face.

"Oh, hey babe. How are you?" I smile back whilst letting all my thoughts flit away so that I can focus on the handsome man in front of me.

"I'm good. You're home early, short day?" He asks.

"Yeah, Dennis let me off early because I'm ahead on my work this week. I got lucky, so I made a break for it before he changed his mind." I say while kicking off my heels.

"That's great, you deserve it. Since you're home early, we should really book into a restaurant before it's too late. Did you think of where you would like to go tonight?" He says while leaning against the entry to the lounge room.

"Uh damn, I totally forgot. How about Parkway Grill? I love that place. Great service, great food, it's just the thing I need to end the week with." I say.

"Sure thing, I'll get right on that. But first things first..." He trails off while he pulls me into the protective circle of his arms. As he is holding me, one hand gently runs up and down my back.

Suddenly, I'm in a different place. In a smaller body. Huddled in a cramped, dark and dusty place. Being as quiet as a mouse, as momma says. I'm the best at hide and seek.