Chapter 35

The start of the week flew by and before I knew it, it was Wednesday afternoon. Now the pieces of my puzzle should start to fall into place for me, finally.

Dialling the number I have for Destiny, I wait and listen while the line rings through.

Once, twice, three times, no answer.

Growing evermore impatient, my knee starts to bounce anxiously. On the fifth ring however, she picks up.

"What?" She groans down the line.

"That's no way to greet the person who is saving your ass from more chaos." I respond.

"Sorry. I just woke up."

Glancing at my watch, I note that the time reads 3.39pm. I'm not impressed, but I don't need to mention that to her. Today doesn't matter, tomorrow however, I won't be so tolerant.

"Okay, whatever. Tomorrow, I'll be waiting for you at Granny's Pantry on Picher Alley at 5.30. Don't be late."

"I'll be there. Should I bring anything?"

"No, just yourself. Dress casual." With that said, I hang up.

Placing my phone down on the dash of my car, I take a quiet moment to myself and glance around the parking lot which is mostly deserted, a few people linger about their vehicles, rummaging through boots and ducking inside their cars.

After sitting contentedly for a few minutes too long, I gather up some much needed energy and step out of my car. Dawdling back into work, I consider the day to come. If it all works out, I'll be able to step well away from this trouble with Eddie. That's not my main goal, dealing with him just happens to assist in ridding myself of the leech that Destiny has become.

Pacing back into the office, I see Peter stalking the length of his office on the phone to someone, he seems completely pissed off and by the sound of his voice, he definitely is. But upon spotting me, the anger dissipates and he casually waves at me as though nothing were wrong. We lawyers sure are great at pretending to be something we're not.

Smiling to myself, I drop into my seat and decide to call Justine to see how she's doing.

Justine's phone only rings once before she picks up.

"Hello? Danica?"

"Hey, yeah it's me. How are you?"

"Not great... Look, you've caught me at a bad time. I can't talk for long, I'm at a crime scene, another bloody motel." Justine pauses then says, "Literally." She sighs heavily at the end.

"Wasn't there one only a few days ago?" I query, baffled by the ego of this psycho.

After the news the other day about another man being found stabbed to death in a motel just outside of California, I assumed that we wouldn't have another for at least a week. But here we are, a few days later and another gory scene is discovered.

Justine's voice pulls me out of my reverie and back to the conversation at hand.

"Yeah. It's getting more and more frequent. There's no stopping this psycho. They have their sights firmly set on blood being shed."

"Shit. Anything new to go off? Any evidence?"

"I can't really divulge that just yet. We are considering alerting the media to the item that is being left at each scene but it's gonna be a gigantic shit storm if we do. Problem is, we've got nothing else to go on. It's our only hope."

I hear voices in the background and someone calls out to Justine in the distance.

"I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens then. I'll let you go though, you sound busy." I say.