Chapter 34

The music video above has just been added for those of you who like to read and listen to music at the same time. This song works for the last half of this chapter, if you're interested.

----------------------------------------

Lying to Alex about my whereabouts was rough. The more lies I tell, the more I wish I could just be honest with him. But I can't very well explain my true motives can I?

I told him I was going out to buy new work shoes and more underwear - because what straight man would complain about a woman buying snazzy new panties?

None, that's who.

My real plan however, is to go and see Destiny again. I had figured out how to trap Eddie and I think she will like it. Not that I'm necessarily trying to please the girl, but she must go along with this. My plan would involve her and have her deal with him in whichever way she would like. Perfect for me. It keeps my hands clean, mostly.

The tricky part of the plan is that I'm relying on Eddie being at his mothers again, on the same night and at around the same time as before. If that doesn't happen, I'd have to think of another way to get him alone, and that will prove to be really challenging. Maybe impossible.

I was reluctant to take the risk of having only seen Eddie at the location once, so I'd travelled down again the following Thursday night after my first venture there and was ecstatic when the same vehicle appeared at a similar time as the prior week. After seeing him physically get out of the car again I felt confident then that he would return again, so I set my plan for the coming Thursday and had decided to lay it out to Destiny too.

My only disappointment about this whole thing is that it's taken me a week longer than I'd hoped to get organised. I had no choice though, I needed to see Eddie at his mothers more than once to be comfortable with going through with it. There's nothing worse than being caught out unaware.

Scanning the area as I cruise through the unsavoury neighbourhood towards Destiny's place, my eyes pick up on the light that glimmers off the cars that line the streets, and the occasional homeless person lying amongst their collected treasures on the pavement. Pasadena can be such a beautiful place, but where there's beauty, you will find something undesirable.

Speak for yourself, I think to myself. Clenching my jaw, I tighten my hands around the steering wheel feeling my skin pull taut against my knuckles, the physical distraction from my honest thoughts is a welcome one.

I don't want to seem self absorbed by thinking of myself as beautiful but I'm also not average looking. I like to think I have striking qualities, for example my eyes, the vivid green colour they hold speak for themselves. My eyelashes are long and thick, shadowing my eyes altogether at times, adding a hint of mystery to my looks. My hair is voluminous and dark, becoming a veil to conceal me when I require it. I'm tall and generally muscular, some men hate the thought of a tall woman but others love it. But enough of that for now. I need to focus on what I'm about to do.

Destiny comes across as the type to want to jump in with both feet and hope for the best outcome, but that will not fly with this situation, she needs to be smart. Unfortunately, I don't think she has that particular capability, so I have a rough idea of what I want to happen, which I'll express to her in no uncertain terms. Whether it all pans out that way is another thing entirely. Fate has a hand in everything, hopefully her hands stay away from my plans, because this has to work.

Pulling into the street opposite Destiny's apartment, I put all my valuables into the glovebox and step out of my car, being sure to lock it behind me.