Chapter 41 - Epilogue

A few days had past and things hadn't slowed down on the case of the motel murderer.

While on the phone to Justine, she had informed me of a copycat killer - a deranged person who had become totally infatuated with the motel murderer that they had gone and recreated the whole scenario for themselves.

What this copycat didn't plan on however, was their being caught.

It didn't take long for the police to notice the vast differences between the murders.  Firstly, the guy was extremely sloppy and had left behind traces of evidence which led them straight to an abandoned house that he had been utilising as a hideout. In said house were multiple newspaper clippings, somewhat documenting the prior murders. This is also where they found the scumbag who thought he was smart enough to get away with it.

Long story, short - they caught the guy and he confessed to the killing. In turn, it had dashed the cops hopes of catching the real threat. Another failed lead. More pressure. Less time.

Justine told me, in great detail, that she assumed right away that the guy wasn't the real deal, she said she still felt that it was a woman that was killing all these men - simply because it's only been men. I put multiple scenarios to her that could explain the motive behind the murders, it was fruitless though, she is still adamant that it's being done by a woman and said that her team are working on finding a female to fit the profile. No point arguing the fact when she's set in her mind, and she's the cop, if she has a theory, she should run with it.

Justine and I continued with our call like any other day, but a few minutes later she got word of another murder, Justine apologised profusely, telling me she had to go but would call me while she was on the road because the location wasn't as close as usual.

I had only just placed my phone back down when it begins to ring beside me again and I snatch it up, answering the call without paying attention to the caller i.d.

"Hello?"

"Dan. Hey, it's Lyss."

"Hey. What's up?" I say, distractedly reading the news on my laptop.

"Not much, I'm just on my way back from San Fran, was bored driving. What you up to?"

I can hear the rumble of her car in the background, accompanied by the distant sounds of other vehicles whizzing by on the road.

"Nothing. Just relaxing."

I'd had a full on week with work and this was my quiet time, I planned to do a whole lot of nothing for the next few hours.

"Ugh, well aren't you boring? This phone call was a waste of time. I'll speak to you later, I'm gonna call someone fun instead. Ciao!" Alyssa immediately cuts the call short, astounding me with her snarky comments.

I stare blankly at the screen, shocked. Alyssa has been almost bipolar lately. I never know whether she is going to be in a good mood or a snappy, uninterested mood. I simply don't know how to take her anymore.

What has gotten into her?

-------------------------

"Hey beautiful." I hear Alex say from behind me.

I jump a little in my seat.
"Hey."

"What's wrong?" He asks, frowning.

I look away. "Nothing."

Deadly Dreamer  -  Book One  ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें