Chapter 32

I hadn't originally planned to follow up on Eddie after reading his file. I didn't think it was worth my time. But then I found myself pondering over the multitude of ways I could kill him and the temptation became too enticing to ignore. The only problem I had was finding a way to get him alone and with him being the person he is, I can imagine him being surrounded by his men at all times.

Upon leaving work and making it home, I grabbed a dark jacket and threw on some jeans then jumped into my car and headed out to do some field work.

I drove around to a few different places that he had been seen to frequent with no luck, but fortunately for me finding him wasn't as difficult as I had expected it to be.

The police file on Eddie gave me more than enough information to track him and while keeping my distance - because the last thing I need is his cronies noticing me - I followed him to an old building on the outskirts of the city, where he entered through the front and then for a long portion of time didn't come back out.

Now, I wouldn't have thought anything of it, had I not decided on a whim to follow the lone car that appeared from the back of the building out into the slowly changing night, but I'd grown a little bored and needed the thrill of the chase to settle my impatience, even if it lead me nowhere. On the drive I took note of the classic, black, two door Mercedes. It drove for several minutes before winding it's way into and through a largely populated residential area where it parked out the front of a house painted in a bright canary yellow with red steps that lead to the front door. The front garden is well tended, with lush green lawns and pruned bushes scattered about to add to the green scenery.

Sitting low in my seat, I wait and watch the dark vehicle. Time passes, nearing a full ten minutes when I start to think how stupid it was to follow this car when, shockingly, Eddie himself - alone - steps out of the car and paces towards the front patio where he meets an older woman at the door with a hug and a kiss upon each of her cheeks. This development immediately alerts me to the fact that he is obviously at his mothers home. Why else would he deny the presence of his men there?

Interesting, I think to myself while pursing my lips. I glance at my watch wondering if he makes a habit out of this, the time reads 6.39pm on a Thursday evening. I'll need to return to find out whether this is a regular occurrence, I can't take my chances with this one.

I had assumed he would never be alone, but here he is all on his lonesome. No muscle to separate him from me. Just how I like it, I smile to myself.

Drumming my fingers happily on the steering wheel I watch as he enters the house then I sit up in my seat, restart my car and drive away with a renewed sense of action firmly planted in my mind.

I love when a plan presents itself to me.

--------------------------------

Friday, surprisingly, became my quiet day of the week. Aside from my normal mountain of work, I had no unusual surprises which was pleasant. I really needed a break from my extra curricular activities. While thinking this I realise I'll have to front Destiny again at some point in time. I groan to myself, knowing it's not something I can simply avoid, especially if I'm to keep her from just appearing or worse yet, follow me again. And to be totally honest with myself, I don't completely dread chasing things up and researching criminals. It's become a good way for me to let loose, aside from actually physically hurting people.

Standing up out of my seat, I tidy my haphazard desk. I had no organisation with my work at the moment. I was constantly shuffling things about to find certain cases and that's completely unlike me. I take my time to sort through everything when I find a file I hadn't seen before. It's not uncommon for the other staff to drop them on my desk for future cases so I sit again, opening the front cover and study the file before me.