Bird Set Free

"Alright guys Nationals numbers. Let's hear em." Mr. Schue said into the auditorium mic. Rachel was the first to come out and did a rendition of People by Barbra Streisand and when she finished, Quinn, Mercedes, Mike, Puck, Santana and Finn did a rendition of Homeward Bound/Home. Brittany and Tina sang Listen by Beyonce, Sam, Blaine and Artie did Boys/Boyfriend and finally came Kurt which everyone was excited for as Kurt stepped out of the wings and walked towards the center of the stage in tight black jeans, a tight white top and a three button black vest. On the belt loops were chain like necklaces and the music started as he sang.

Clipped wings, I was a broken thing
Had a voice, had a voice but I could not sing
You would wind me down
I struggled on the ground

Kurt's face twisted into anger as he gripped his hair, singing with deep passion and power.

So lost, the line had been crossed
Had a voice, had a voice but I could not talk
You held me down
I struggle to fly now

He released his hair and placed a hand on his heart and his stomach. The hand on his heart slid down to his stomach and around his waist as he pretended to back away from some type of monster.

But there's a scream inside that we all try to hide
We hold on so tight, we cannot deny
Eats us alive, oh it eats us alive
Yes, there's a scream inside that we all try to hide
We hold on so tight, but I don't wanna die, no
I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die

He threw his arms out as if stretching his wings and sang loud as he spun once before looking at a proud and smiling Blaine and reached a hand out.

And I don't care if I sing off key
I find myself in my melodies
I sing for love, I sing for me
I shout it out like a bird set free
No I don't care if I sing off key
I find myself in my melodies
I sing for love, I sing for me
I'll shout it out like a bird set free

He hit the high notes so easily that everyone dropped their jaw except Blaine and Kurt surprised them all more as he tore one of the chains off and threw it at the ground.

Now I fly, hit the high notes
I have a voice, have a voice, hear me roar tonight

He walked slowly down to the end of the stage and shut his eyes, going back to the day in the gym. Only in his mind he imagined getting up and doing his best to fight back. He imagined drawing strength from Blaine to protect their child and not stopping. He took that imagery and put it into the song.

You held me down
But I fought back loud

But there's a scream inside that we all try to hide
We hold on so tight, we cannot deny
Eats us alive, oh it eats us alive
Yes, there's a scream inside that we all try to hide
We hold on so tight, but I don't wanna die, no
I don't wanna die, I don't wanna die

And I don't care if I sing off key
I find myself in my melodies
I sing for love, I sing for me
I shout it out like a bird set free

He threw the other chain at his feet and the other in a row just in front of Puck.

No I don't care if I sing off key
I find myself in my melodies
I sing for love, I sing for me
I'll shout it out like a bird set free

Kurt finished strong and loud before crashing into his knees and took deep breaths as everyone even Mr. Schue burst into cheers and whooping. Kurt smiled and got up slowly, dusting off his pants and looked at Blaine. Blaine blew a kiss and wink to which Kurt blushed and smiled.

"Well looks like we found out opening number and it's lead soloist." Mr. Schue said.

Kurt bowed and Blaine helped him down before spinning him and giving him a passionate kiss on the lips. Kurt was taken back but mentally said fuck it, I've earned and deserve this so he kissed back and neither heard when the others and Mr. Schue left. When they did separate, it was with heavy breathing and messy hair.

"What was that for?" Kurt asked.

"For looking so hot during that song, for singing that song, for making me prouder and prouder of you everyday."

"I just thought I'd give her some justice and plus there is no way Rachel Berry is getting another solo."

"I think if Katie was here or even saw a recording of it, she'd squeal and probably try to follow." Blaine chuckled and pressed his forehead to Kurt's. Kurt smiled and wrapped his arms around his neck. Eventually the bell rang and the two grabbed their bags before heading out with Finn and Mercedes waiting for them.

"Congrats on the solo white boy! That song was perfect for you." Mercedes nudged Kurt and he chuckled. "I'm serious. You should've seen Rachel's face at those high notes. I think Sia herself would be proud."

"She's right Kurt. I didn't know you could sing that high. Blaine?" Finn said.

"Warblers Party. Blew everyone away." Blaine said and Kurt blushed.

"You didn't know because I threw the note in Defying Gravity." Kurt said nonchalantly.

"WHAT?!" Finn and Mercedes said together and Kurt jumped and turned his head to them. Mercedes pointed a finger at him.

"I knew it! Why would you do that?" She asked.

"Because my dad got a bad phone call from someone saying 'your son's a fag' before hanging up. He told me, I felt guilty about it so I threw the note." Kurt said.

"Kurt..." Mercedes said softly and touched his arm. Kurt looked at her and smiles faintly.

"I'm fine. I don't care. It happened and I'm over it. I made up for it today and that's all that matters." Kurt said and Blaine smiled at him.

"Well no throwing notes at Nationals, okay? I say you sing the song just like you did today but maybe add that memory to it." Finn said, hugging his brother. Kurt laughed and hugged back before letting go.