Family

A knock sounded off Kurt's hospital door and he was ready to tell that person to buzz off but gaped when he saw Jack, Blaine's grandfather, came in. He gave Kurt a small smile and sat down. Kurt started to move slowly to sit up and Jack helped him.

"How are you doing Kurt?"

"I'm getting better. Some days are good and some are bad but I know in time that everything will be okay in time."

"And what is today?"

"A good day I suppose. Though Blaine hates that he had to go back while I'm in here. I can only imagine the hospital bill my dad and Carole are paying."

Jack chuckled and shook his head. He stroked his mustache and smirked, looking at Kurt as he spoke.

"You mean the one I'M paying for out of my own pocket?"

Kurt's eyes widened and he stuttered but Jack wouldn't hear it and he put a hand up before the words could even leave Kurt's mouth. He wanted to do this for Kurt and his family after all they did for Blaine and his own family. He had hardly ever seen his grandson happy ever since Blaine ended up in the hospital after Sadie Hawkins. Plus not only saved his own son but he also saved Blaine too and taught him in ways Jack tried and Ben failed. Kurt still spoke.

"Jack you don't have to."

"I want to. You make Blaine happy and I owe it to your father. Also I, well, I heard what happened from Burt and I wanted to give my condolences in person. Lyla wants to do her part and at her request or rather insistence and be your lawyer."

Kurt was silent as he took a deep breath and sniffled. Jack grabbed his hand and squeezed it lightly and Kurt squeezed back and smiled at Jack and that's when Jack saw Kurt's eyes. He could see every emotion in them and that took his breath away.

"So how's that glee club of yours and Blaine doing?"

"Persistent. I would let the others visit but I can't yet Jack. I'm not ready."

"Physically, mentally or emotionally?"

"The latter. One can't even understand that I just can't go back to normal right away. What happened to me was tough and I hardly think a song is going to change it."

"Maybe you're right about that. What about that group Blaine created for ya?"

"They come by. I really appreciate it. I didn't expect to get a whole other family from just loving Blaine."

"Do you expect me to hate you? Hate on a kid like you for making my grandson happier than I've ever seen him? Now I may be old fashioned but I'm not that old fashioned Kurt and I get that most parents aren't as accepting and I know Ben wasn't at first with Blaine but thanks to you and Burt, that changed and I want to thank you for that. Now we want to do something for you and we're going to darn well do it and all you need to know is that we will always be here for you and for Blaine."

Kurt looked at him as a tear fell and Jack wiped it away. Kurt smiled and wiped the tear tracks after Jack moved his hand. He turned to him and began to tell the story of how he ended up in the hospital and he could tell that Jack was trying to resist getting up and telling the three boys off but one thing Kurt was sure of was that Jack never let go of his hand but instead held it tighter as Kurt once again relived the nightmare he endured. He remembered it vividly and over the last few weeks of therapy and physical therapy, he had accepted it. Both he and Blaine. He finished and Jack cleared his throat before speaking.

"I tell ya, kids like that these days make me sick. Who are they to decide who gets to live and who gets to die or who to bully and who to not bully? How can they just go after someone and go as far as killing an unborn baby?"