Chapter 10

The story is gonna be told as if from a characters POV. Said POV is y/n. Also some violence and gore elements later on. Just a fair warning.

It all started about half a year before my father died. I was in town, buying food for myself when I saw a mysterious cloaked man. He was sitting in the alleyway. I decided to ignore him and walked on, but as I passed him he spoke to me.

'Your a dragon slayer aren't you' he said in a deep voice.

Naturally, I lit my fist on fire and snapped 'how did you know, creep'. He just laughed.

'I know your kind when I see them'. It intrigued me that there were others like me.

'You mean I'm not the only one?'.

'Ignorant child. Fate intends for there to be 7 others like you. Fate also says, that one of the eight is destined to wield great magic. And from the signs, I think it's you'. Destined to wield great power?

'Listen, I'm sure that you know what you're talking about, but I need to eat, and get back to my father. I'll be sure to mention you to him'. And with that, I walked off. He didn't object, or say anything to me afterwards.

When I got back home, I told father about everything. He intently listened, and kept asking me about what seemed like unnecessary detailes. I asked him why he was so well serious about the subject.

'I have heard of the legend he speaks of, and I agree, you are most likely the child of legend'. I was shocked. I always thought myself to be your average wizard, not a legendary dragon slayer.

'Really? That's amazing'. He scolded me.

'Remember, with great power comes great responsibility, and this power is secret. Nobody knows about this, understand?'. I nodded, thinking I was ready. 'Alright, get on my back, we're going to the ritual grounds'.

As we flew I admired the sunset. The beautiful combination of pinks, purples, and yellows. The clouds, thin and long, the sun reflecting on the water of the lake. It's the thing that reminds me of that night the most.

Soon we were at a cave. It was in the mountains. I'd never seen it before. He lowered me off his back.

'Go in there. Do as they say, don't worry. I'll be right out here'. I was honestly scared, but excited. When I walked in it was pitch black.

'Hello?!' I called into the darkness. A candle was lit, revealing a cloaked man.

'You must be Y/n. Here to partake in the ritual' He asked. I nodded hesitantly. He nodded, and more candles were lit. I was able to see a circle of cloaked men. Inside their circle was a strange marking pattern in the floor, in Red paint.

'Y/n. We have been waiting here for a century, since the legend was discovered, waiting for whomever may be the child of legend. It is an honor to finnaly know who it is' One said.

'There is a prophecy'. One held up a candle to the walls. There was a bunch of writing on them. 'It speaks of all the things you will do, you will become. When we are assured you are the correct child, you shall read it'

'Now, let the ritual commence. Y/n stand in the center other the circle, your back to the entrance, and stay still' He commanded. I obeyed, and waited. I heard one behind me. I felt him cut two symmetrical slits in the back of my shirt.

'Y/n this next part will be painful, but if you stay strong during it, you will be gifted with incredible forbidden magic'. I felt something hovering over my back. In a split second, it sliced down the slits in my shirt.

The knife cut through my skin, then my flesh, almost down to the bone. It burned, as the knife was likely dipped in lava. The pain was unimaginable. I could quickly feel blood almost gushing out of my back.

One man, luckily, was prepared for that. He had two thick cloths, that he put on the gashes after they were made. I could feel myself losing consciousness, and my body going numb from the pain. Some blood escaped, dripping gently down my back, and onto the floor of the cave.

As the blood hit the floor, the markings lit up an imminent red glow. Everything was becoming blury. I could feel myself losing consciousness.

'Y/n! Can you hear me?!'. I felt myself faintly nod. 'Alright. Sit on your knees. It's almost over'. I felt myself fall to my knees. Then five sets of hands were placed around the slits. There was a pulsing when i felt my magic drained out of my body, and placed it all in the slits. Soon, i felt something growing out of my back. It burned, tearing apart each muscle, cracking each vertebrae.

I was then lifted off the ground, and floated there, before I fell. I must've passed out, cause the next I knew, I woke up back at home, like nothing happened. I felt sick, almost hurt. The next day I went back. All the candles were gone, and only one robed man stood there.

'Thank you Y/n for coming back. Here, take this book. It has every chapter and verse of the prophecy. Read it carefully, as one day you will need to have it memorized'. I took a book he had from him.

'Thank you. I must ask though, how do I summon and use my wings?'

'After practice forming them will be simple. For now, focus your energy to your back, and they will form. And as for usage, your wings are your magic energy. So just control them as you would your magic energy'

'Thank you.'