Overwhelming news

I dropped my bag, and looked at both of them.  “W-what’s going on?” I stuttered and my voice broke.  I didn’t know what I was about to hear, and by the looks of it, I wasn’t going to like it.  One bit.  My brother never cries.  And when I say never, he doesn’t.  I’ve seen him cry once, over losing a family member a few years ago.  Aaron’s mom, she was just out of control.  Her face was red and puffy, leading me to believe she has been crying non-stop for the past few hours.  Hayden looked like he just recently started crying.  He wasn’t red and puffy like Aaron’s mom.  “Guys?” I asked again, taking a step closer.  Hayden opened his mouth to speak, but turned to Aaron’s mom.  “I think you should tell her.” He eased up, and wiped the tears from his eyes.

                I grabbed a tissue for each of them, and handed it to them.  I waited for her to speak, but she and Hayden were exchanging unsure glances.  “Is it that bad?” I stammered over my words, and was close to breaking down.  She just shook her head, and smiled a little.  “It’s not bad at all.”

My eyes widened, and my heart started beating out of my chest.  “Well, what is it?”

She smiled a little more, and let a tear fall.  “He’s awake.”

My eyes widened, and my first reaction was jumping in her arms.  I wrapped my arms around her neck, and cried a little on her shoulder.  She laughed, and hugged me back.  I looked up from her shoulder, and Hayden was watching with a smile.

                Once I pulled away, I wiped my eyes.  “When did he wake up?” I grabbed a tissue, dabbing at my eyes.  She directed me to the chairs in the office, and we sat down, Hayden joining us.  “He’s been awake for about two hours now,” she smiled and continued. “But they are keeping him for another week, because he’s still fragile and could slip back into the coma easily.  But you’re welcome to visit him after school.”

I nodded, “Most definitley. Why didn’t you guys just come out with it?  I thought he died or something.”

Her and Hayden exchanged glances before she returned her gaze to mine, “I’m sorry, sweetie.  But he’s doing okay.  He’s already asked about you.”

I felt my stomach flutter.  “Does he remember anything about what happened?”

She sighed, “Not really.  He was asking where he was, and how he got there.  I’m sure his memory will slowly come back to him.  Let’s not rush it, though.”

I understood.  “I don’t want him to remember, but I don’t want him to be confused, either.”

She agreed, “It’ll be okay.  Just give it time.” She stood up, and I mocked her actions.  “I better be going.  I have things to do at the hospital.”  She gave me a quick hug and a peck on the cheek.

                Once she was gone, Hayden stood up and pulled me into an even tighter hug.  “Are you okay?” I asked softly, hugging him back.  He pulled away, giving me a nod.  “He’s okay.” He sighed, wiping his eyes once again.  “So, guess what?” he smirked.

I raised an eyebrow, “What?”

                “I’m eighteen.” He wiggled his eyebrows.

I still didn’t get it, “Your point?”

                “And I’m on the list to sign you out.”

I grinned, “Please?”

He nodded, and grabbed my bag from the floor.  I clapped, and followed him out of the office.  He signed me out for the day, and we made our way to his car.  I grabbed my bag from him, and jumped in the passenger seat.  He was soon in the driver’s seat, and we headed in the direction of the house.

Once we got home, I headed straight for the kitchen.  I was starving.  I made a quick sandwich, and walked back into the living room, where Hayden was sitting on the couch, with a newspaper and a highlighter.  “What are you doing?” I questioned, taking a seat next to him.  He highlighted something, and then opened his mouth to speak.  “Well, I need to find a job and an apartment closer to the college.”

I stopped chewing at mid-bite, “Wait-you, Hayden Almighty, is actually getting a job and moving out?”

He slowly turned to me, giving me a glare.  “What?” I shrugged.

He shook his head at me, and went back to the newspaper, “When Aaron gets better, he’s moving in with me as well.”

                “Wow.  I would have never thought you two would be living together.” I said sarcastically, taking the last bite of my sandwich.

He made a funny face at me, and highlighted something else.  “How are you and Lea?” I asked.

He gave me another funny look, “I have a right.  You are my brother, and she is my best friend.”

He shook his head, laughing.  “If you must know, we are doing amazing.  But that’s all I’m saying.”

I poked his shoulder, “What’s that supposed to mean?  What else is there to be told?”

                “You know you’re really annoying?” he chuckled.

I nodded, giving him a grin. “I’m completely aware of this, thank you.  Do you love her?”

He hesitated before he nodded, “Yep.”

                “Can you see her in your future?”

He dropped the newspaper, and looked at me. “Jenny, seriously.  Stop with all the questions.” He laughed.

I wrinkled my nose, “Make me.”

He continued to stare at me.  “What?” I questioned.

He shook his head, “You’re doing my job.  I’m supposed to be interrogating you.  Well, actually Aaron.”

I sighed, “You have fun with that.”  I patted his leg, and rose off the couch.  I walked upstairs, and grabbed some clothes for a shower.  Hopefully Hayden will take me to see Aaron in a few.

After my shower, I closed all of the curtains, and I climbed into bed.  I snuggled under my warm blanket and grabbed my phone off the bedside table.  I had one message from Lea, “What’s going on?  Why’d you leave school early?  Is Aaron okay?”  I smiled a little, thinking about Aaron.  He’s okay, and he’ll be home soon.  I get to hug him again.  I get to hear his voice again, and see his smile.  I texted back, “He’s okay.” And locked my phone.  I sat it back down, and rested my head on the mountain of pillows.  It only took me a few minutes to fall asleep.

------------------------------------

I'm thinking about finishing this up...I'm not sure though.  Because I have plans, but I don't know if that should be a sequal, or if I should continue it.  What do you guys think?