I'm glad we're friends

It has been a good month since I’ve seen Kale, or talked to Kale.  I’ve seen him passing by in the hallways at school, but I never actually saw him.  I know he’s leaving today, and I should be happy about that.  I just can’t be happy about it.  I feel it’s partially my fault he’s leaving.  I wish he would take Nina with him.  But I’m guessing he wants to get away from her, too.  I was lying in bed, looking up at the ceiling.  I was waiting for Aaron to get here, which should be in about an hour or so.  I had my phone balanced on my chest, and it buzzed, knocking me in the chin.

                I picked it up, answering it without looking to see who it was.  “Hello?”

                “Jenny, hey.” It was Kale. 

I sighed, sitting up.  “Hi, Kale.  What’s up?”

                “Uh, nothing.  Can you come outside really quick?”

I hung up the phone, and raced down stairs.  I slipped my shoes on, and stepped outside.  Kale was standing there, waiting below the steps.  I couldn’t help but smile a little.  I stepped down, and Kale stood in front of me.  He had a smile, “I just wanted to say bye.”

I swallowed, “You’re leaving now?”  I knew he was leaving; I just didn’t want to hear him say it.

He nodded slowly, “I have to get to the airport.  I just finished packing, and thought I owed you a goodbye.”

                “Goodbye?  Are you not coming back?”

He shrugged a shoulder.  “I’m not sure.  And it doesn’t matter.  I don’t want to leave with you mad at me.”

I shook my head, “I’m not mad at you.” And it does matter, I wanted to add.  But I snapped my mouth closed, and watched him walk closer to me.  He lifted a hand, caressing the side of my face.  I felt his breath faint on my lips.  He leaned in closer, planting his lips softly to my cheek.  “I’ll see you soon.” I whispered, wrapping my arms around his waist.  I hugged him tightly for a second and let go.

                I settled my hands on his waist, balling his sweater into my fists.  “You’re not leaving because of me, are you?” I had to ask.

He shook his head, moving a hand back up to my cheek.  “No, of course not.  My grandma’s sick, and needs someone to take care of her.”

I placed my forehead on his chest, while he ran his fingers through my hair.  I took a few breaths, exhaling slowly.  I felt his finger slide under my chin, and lift my head up.  He searched my eyes for a second, “We’ll stay in touch.” He gave me a smile.

I tried my best to smile back.  “Aaron won’t like that.”

He shrugged.  “I don’t care.” He let a laugh escape his lips.

I joined in.  “I’m glad we are friends, at least.” I whispered.

He brought my forehead to his lips, and slowly released me.  “I’m glad, too.  I’ll text you, or call you when my plane lands.  If it’s not too late.”

                “It won’t be.  Call me anyways.”

He gave me a nod, and started back towards his house.  I found myself running to follow him.  I wasn't thinking.  My brain wasn’t doing the thinking.  My legs moved quickly, until I caught up to him.  At some point I called out his name, and he stopped to turn around.  I jumped in his arms, and wrapped my arms around his neck.  His arms went tight around my waist, hugging me to him tightly.  He moved his hands up my back, slowly stroking his fingers through my hair.  “I’ll miss you.” He whispered, leaving a kiss on the top of my head.