Tug of War

“What do you mean by that?” I asked.  He shrugged, “What does it sound like?”

            “Aaron, you are so damn stubborn.” I jumped from the counter and walked closer to him, pinning him to the counter.  His eyes widened, “I’m stubborn?  You’re a hypocrite, Jenny!”

I slumped, “What do you want from me, Aaron?” I asked, taking a step back.  He moved in closer, resting his hands on my hips, “I want you every which way.  And you can’t tell me you don’t feel the same.  I felt it in that kiss last night.”

            “But what if it didn’t work out?”

            “But what if it did?”

I sighed, moving in his arms.  “I want to give you a chance.  Just give me time, okay?”

He shook his head, “I don’t know how much longer I can wait for you.”

            “I never asked you to, now I am.  Please Aaron.”

He was defeated; He caressed my face, staring deep into my eyes, and said “I would wait forever for you.” He whispered, leaving a light kiss on my forehead.  I’m in love with him, I can’t deny it anymore.

The next morning I got up, feeling great.  I finally had enough sleep, but it wasn’t too long before my mind started working, thinking about things I don’t want to.  I could hear people talking downstairs, hair dryers, shower’s running and whatnot.  The smell of fried food and hairspray tangoed in the air, leaving a weird smell.  I got out of bed and started getting ready for today.  I wish I could just stay in bed all day.  That would make my life so much easier.

            Everyone was ready and piled into Hayden’s car.  First stop was lunch, after lunch, we headed back to the house to swim in the lake.  I hurried to slip my bikini on and we all met on the dock.  Hayden was showing off, thinking he could make a bigger splash than everyone.  Then Aaron began to show off, making Hayden’s splash look small.  Lea and I did our regular, hold hands, run and jump in the water, making an even bigger splash.  The sound of a shriek pulled us out of our laughter.  I looked to my right and noticed Nina was soaked.  I laughed quietly in my hands.  That just made my life.

The boys were cooking out tonight, leaving us girls to talk amongst ourselves.  Well, and Kale.  I sat in Kales lap in a chair, and Lea and Nina surrounded the fire as well.  Nina looked at us and smiled, “So how long have you guys been dating now?”

Kale looked at me and then back to Nina, “A month next week.

            “Are you guys happy?”

Kale looked at me and smiled, “Happier than ever.” He leaned in and pecked my lips.  I smiled and rested my head on his chest.  I’m happy, but I’m not happy.  I hate seeing Aaron with another girl, but I’m sure it’s the same way.  He told me before seeing me with Kale bothers him.  This break up with Kale isn’t going to do me much justice.  I think I have it thought out though.

Things got worse as we went further in the week.  We have four days left here, and I am going to be miserable during all of them.  Aaron pulled me to the side, because he could tell that there was something wrong.  “Are you okay?”

I shook my head, “I don’t know what to do.”

He placed his hands on my shoulders and peered into my eyes, “Can you do me a favor, please?”

I shrugged, “I don’t know.  What?”

He smiled, “Smile?  I haven’t seen your smile in a while.”

I gave the best smile I could.

            “You should smile more often.” He smirked.

I sighed, “I wish I could.”

            “You can.  For me, please?  I don’t want to pressure you.  I love you, J.  Whether it’s as a friend or more.  You won’t lose me.”

            “That’s what I’m afraid of.  I don’t want to lose you.  You mean too much to me.”

            “Then don’t push me away.  Talk to me.  I know I told you to talk to someone else, but I want to be there for you always.”

I threw my head back, frustrated with Aaron and Kale, “Why do you guys even care about me?  Look what I’m doing to you guys.  I’m hurting you both.  I don’t deserve you guys.  I ruin everything.”

            “Don’t think like that.  You deserve the best, if it’s me or Kale—”

            “Shut up!” I began to cry, “No I don’t.”

            “Jenny, stop it!  You’re an amazing person.”

            “Just stop it.  You’re making it worse.  I want to be with you, but I can’t.  And this has nothing to do with Kale.  I’ve told you this.  Its part, but not the full story.”

            He grabbed my hand, leading me through the living room, and out the sliding glass door.  We walked to the end of the dock and sat down, our legs dangling over the edge.  “What’s going on with Nina?” he asked.

I swallowed hard, “Do not repeat this.  I’m begging.”

He held up his pinky, “Pinky promise.”

I laughed and wrapped my pinky around his, “You are such a dork.”

            “It’s good to hear your laugh, now tell me what’s going on.”

I sighed, ready to come out with it, “Nina threatened to hurt you if I break up with Kale.”

            “And you really believe her?”

I nodded, “I don’t know.  I just think if I don’t believe her, it’s going to happen.  I would die if anything happened to you.”

            “Don’t let her get to you.  I believed her once, and I regret it.”

I raised an eyebrow, “What are you talking about?”

I could tell he didn’t mean to say that much. 

            “She told me that you said you could care less about me, and you just didn’t want to hurt my feelings.  Then she told me some other things, which led to kissing, which led to something else.”

            “Is that why you were late that night?”

He hesitated before he nodded, “I’m sorry.  I didn’t want that to happen.”

            “So you slept with her?”

He was quiet, and I took that as a yes.

            “I don’t think I could look at you the same.” I was disgusted.

He didn’t say anything still.

            “Was it to get back at me?”

His silence gave it away.  “It was stupid.” He mumbled.

            “Why didn’t you just come to me?”

He shrugged, “I know I should have.  I wanted to, but I was hurt.  I felt stupid because I believed her.  I knew I couldn’t trust her, but I did anyways.”

            “Did you tell her anything?”

He didn’t answer.

            “Aaron!  What did you tell her?”

            “Everything.” He mumbled.

I can't write anymore, :(  I'm running out of ideas, and I just don't write good anymore.  I can't write long chapters, or anything.  :(  I promise the next chapter will be good!  More like fantastic! <3  Thank you, :)