Chapter 31: Ashley

All I wanted to do is talk to Harry. I couldn't focus or concentrate. His scent still lingered in the blanket he gave me, which always sent me in a tizzy. The conversation we had on the phone the other night constantly replayed in my head and the way he knew just about everything, was an unbelievable feeling in my stomach. It did flips and turns, and dips and drops. Ugh. Just thinking about it drives me insane.

I laid there in my bed curled up to Hazza's blanket, watching OUR movie, which always seemed to make me cry, no matter the circumstance. It was A Walk to Remember. I'm such a baby, and it's such a cliche movie to have, but I seem to always love those sappy Nicholas Sparks movies, well besides the fact that I haven't seen the Notebook, which I have to get on.

I felt tears falling down my cheeks during the middle of the movie, knowing what was to come. My fatal flaw. When I know what's coming, I cry before it actually happens. It makes things so much sadder. Anyways. I loved watching this with Harry because when I did start to cry he would always look over at me and place his hands on either side of my face, and rub his thumbs gently across my cheeks wiping away the tears, and then pulling me into him for a nice tight hug. I could picture the images of us Niall had taken of Harry and I while watching A Walk to Remember.

It was the first day where it all began. Harry and I. I was at Niall's house in Mullingar and Niall had invited Harry over to meet the family. They had become very close during the X-Factor shows, and Niall insisted Harry meet his best friend. Me. I was sitting on Niall's couch with my hair up in a bun, no make up on, wearing a baggy t-shirt, sweatpants, and mismatched socks. Niall had gone out with his mother to pick up Harry at the airport and I stayed back home with Niall's brother. A pain I must say. I had just finished watching a long series of reruns. My eyes were struggling to stay open, and Niall and Harry popped in the door. By Harry's reaction to seeing me sitting on the couch, I had a feeling that Niall didn't tell him I was going to be at his house when he arrived.

I could replay this day a million times over and never miss a beat of it. If you can't already tell. This is the day I knew I loved Harry Styles and it wasn't just some crush on a boy in band that was one day going to be famous. I didn't just have a crush on my best friend's best friend. I was in love with this person that my best friend insisted on calling his best friend.

Harry's eyes were stuck staring at me. He was frozen at Niall's door. It was pretty cute if you ask me. He finally snapped out of it and walked in my direction. "Harry Styles." He stuck his hand out and I replied with my name, a hand shake back, and a simple smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you." I still remember to this day all the thoughts that ran through my head when he said those first few words to me.

I stayed silent for a few moments before replying to him. "A pleasure to meet you too Harry." Short, simple, and to the point. Niall showed up behind Harry and placed his hand on Harry shoulder. It was funny how Niall could barely be seen standing behind Harry. I remember cracking a smile and letting out a quiet laugh as Harry's attention was directed toward Niall.

"I see you have met my best friend, Harry." Of course he had. At that moment I took realization at what I actually looked like and stood up off the couch. Niall and Harry's attention turned back in my direction. "Where you going Ash?"

"To not look like a pile of poop." I laughed a little and headed toward the stairs toward Niall's room where I had placed my things the night before. I felt Harry's hand grip loosely around my wrist.

"You look beautiful, don't go." Boy had me at that one. I turned and faced him and my cheeks turned a deep red. The rest of the day consisted of Harry and I talking about who we were and what we've been through. That day I felt closer to him than I had ever felt to any other person in my life. It was after dinner around 7 o'clock, Niall was upstairs setting up a room for Harry and talking to to his parents about things, and Harry and I were downstairs on the couch. He was sitting with his legs crossed and I was curled up into him with my head on his chest and we had the blanket pulled up to our necks. My arms were casually placed around his waist, and his arms wrapped around my shoulders. The TV was on a station, and A Walk to Remember began to play. Both our eyes drifted toward the TV and we watched the movie and this is where we got our movie.

Thinking about how happy Harry and I were back then, honestly makes me want to cry. It's completely insane to think how far we have drifted from that day. He was not only the boy that I was in love with, but he had taken the spot of best friend as well. Right beside Niall.

I needed my boy right now. I needed him to wipe away my falling tears before they reached the blanket that enclosed my body. I needed his lips to slowly come in contact with mine to bring that small, sweet smile across my face. I needed to be able to claim him as mine again. My heart was just breaking every second I didn't get what I needed.

My phone gently vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out from under the covers and looked at Harry's name on my screen, along with a picture of him sticking his tongue out like a dork. I answered the call smiling and slowly sniffling away the tears that A Walk to Remember had left on my cheeks. "Hi." I quietly said in response to his sleepy 'hello'.

"You okay?" He sounded concerned. I knew he could tell that I had been crying. He always worried when I would cry when he wasn't around. He wanted to be the one to catch me when I fell, I thought it was adorable. I was pondering my thoughts trying to figure out exactly what words to say.

I wanted to keep it simple. "I'm fine." I giggled quietly. "Just watching our movie and had a few tears like always. I wish you were here ba.. Harry." Crap. "I didn't mean to say that Haz." Crap. I didn't want to say that either. I just can't win this.

"It's fine Ashley." I could tell he was smiling a sleepy smile. That smile, I found absolutely adorable. "I wish I was there too." He moved around on his bed trying to get comfortable. I could tell by the shuffling around I heard through the line. He hated sleeping in a hotel room by himself. He loved having someone there that he could just talk to, so I knew he was enjoying just hearing my voice. "Come cuddle with me." His voice was weak and tired still. It made him seem so delicate unlike any of the fans would ever expect from him.

"Your girlfriend wouldn't like that." I sighed slightly and I could tell he cringed at the word girlfriend. His end of the phone went quiet for a few minutes, and I finally heard a few groans follow by a girls voice. Was this seriously happening? His girlfriend had to show up during the middle of our conversation. I heard Harry shuffle around on the bed, followed by him getting up.

"I told you not to come over here. I told you I don't want to be with you. I'm not happy with you. I'm sorry, okay? I didn't mean for all this to happen. I'm in love with Ashley and there is nothing anyone can do about it. I can't get over her and I never will be able to." I was smiling ear to ear, listening to the boy I was in love with tell his girlfriend this. "I think its best you leave. We're over." I heard him lead her to the door and quietly shut it behind her. I heard the quiet click as the door shut and I could hear him shuffling across the floor. The scuffing of the blankets against his phone came next followed by a simple greeting, "I'm sorry about that."

"That was," I paused for a second, feeling my heart so tosses and turns, and flips and dips, like it had the first time we met, "something I never thought I'd hear coming from you Mr. Cheeky." He chuckled a little and it left me breathless.

"I'm going to take that as a compliment." I would die to see his smile right now. "Anyways, like I said, I wish you would come cuddle with me."

"Cuddle with one of the boys. I don't cuddle boys because boys have cooties." I joked with him. He knew all I wanted was to be in his arms, just as much as he wanted me in his.