Preface

“Okay, we’ll see you in a bit.” Zayn said before cutting the call.  Liam had just walked into the room, “Who was that?” he asked, looking from Zayn – who was standing next to the window- to Louis, Harry, and Niall – who were sitting around on the sofa.  “Stacy,” Zayn responded making his way to the coach where Liam had just sat down, “she said she’s gonna come over a little later. “I hope she’s bringing your cellphone charger with her,” Harry said, turning to Louis. “I had to wait for like three hours last night because you were using mine.”

Louis responded with nothing but a pleasant smile which he knew would annoy Harry and Harry got up and made his way down the passage.

The rest of the boys looked at each other questioningly.  Louis shrugged and Liam and Zayn shared a silent laugh. Niall, however, seemed to be in a world of his own.

“Niall, you o’right, bro?” Zayn asked. “Uhh?” Niall said, snapping out of his thoughts and back into reality. The boys were all looking at him. His face was a little red. “Niall? Are you…blushing?” Louis asked with a nearly fascinated expression. “What? No. I’m fine.” Niall said and no one believed him. “Niall, your face looks like a toma'o,” Zayn chuckled and the Liam joined the laughter before asking “You alright, mate?”

They all fell silent for a moment before Zayn had an idea of what could have been on Niall’s mind. “It’s Stacy, isn’t it?”

 Liam and Louis looked at Zayn for a moment, trying to decipher what he was implying and immediately caught his trail of thought. The gaze shifted instantaneously to Niall. “Yeah, it’s Stacy,” he admitted. “You like her” Louis both stated and questioned at the same time.

He didn’t deny it and the boys realized that their assumptions were right.

Stacy was a good friend to all of them. They had met her a few months earlier while working on a charity event and had hung out a lot ever since. Though she had initially been quite shy, she was fun to be around once she had gotten used to them and the boys could understand why Niall would be attracted to her. She was fun-loving and carefree; mature when she needed to be, but she didn’t take herself too seriously. Apart from the size of their appetites, Stacy and Niall were actually a lot alike.  “So?” Zayn asked in a playful manner. “So, what?” Niall responded. “So what are you gonna do about it, little blond Irishman?” Louis asked in a teasing and friendly tone. “We’ll see.” “That we will” Liam said, glancing over at Zayn, knowing how protective he was over Niall when it came to girls.

A little while later, the boys could hear Stacy pulling up outside.  Zayn wrapped an arm around Niall. “She’s a great girl. I just don’t want you getting heart-broken, ya know.” “I know,” Niall nodded. “…but if there’s anyone that I think is good for you it’d probably be her. So, I think you should go for it,” he winked and tapped Niall on the back as they watched her through the window. “Thanks bro,” Niall said not shifting his gaze, and Zayn knew he meant it.