Big Sister (G)

// not my idea

You knock on your 4 year old daughters bedroom door, before opening it. You glance down and see her laying on the hardwood floor, playing with her barbie dolls.

"Ava, honey, what are you up to?"

"Playing with my barbies," she says with a big smile. You take a seat next to her and you run your fingers through her thin brown hair.

"Mommy and daddy have a big surprise for you but you have to wait for daddy to come home!" "Okay!" She says, smiling. You grab one of her barbies off of the floor and you start to smooth her hair out. Ava quickly snatches her from you and turns away.

"That's my doll," she shouts and you turn your body to face her. "That's not nice, Ava," you say in a sad tone while brushing her hair out of her face. "I don't care," she sasses and returns to playing with her dolls.

"You're gonna make mommy cry." You put your face in your hands and pretend to start crying. You look through the gaps between your fingers and see her stand up and rush over to you. "I'm sorry mommy." You remove your hands from your face and fake a sniffle.

"You have to share with mommy." "Okay, but only you!" She cups your face with her small, soft, hands. "Why only me?"

"Because I only love you!" "What about daddy?" "I love him the mostest! I'll share with him to! But that's it." "What about your friends?" "No!"

"What if you have a little baby brother or baby sister one day?"

"I'll share with them too, I guess." "You guess, huh? You guess?!" You laugh as you pick her up and throw her onto her bed, careful not to hurt her small body. You continue tickling her and she giggles uncontrollably.

She has Grayson's laugh and hearing it makes you grin.

"Okay! Okay! I'll share with everyone in the entire whole wide big world!" "That's my girl!" You stop tickling her and you gently tap her nose.

You sit back down on the floor and lay down, suddenly tired from all of the movement. Ava runs up to you and straddles your stomach. She gets on her knees, still straddling you, and she starts to tickle you.

"Ava!" You yell, laughing and begging her to stop. "I'm getting you back!" You continue to laugh and you hear Grayson's booming voice fill the small room.

"What's going on in here?" He laughs and you feel Ava being lifted off of you. She squeals and you see Grayson holding her by her feet. You laugh and crouch down to get right next to her face, which is close to the floor. You stick your tongue out at her and she mocks you.

He finally sets her down and comes up to you. "Hi babylove," he says, kissing your lips. "Hey."

"So, Ava, did you and mom get to talk?" "Yeah! She told me that I have to share with her and you and everyone in the whole wide world and my baby brother or baby sister if I get one!" She rambles, causing Grayson to grin down at her.

"Oh she did?" He raises his eyebrow and eyes your stomach. "Mmhm! So can you tell me what the surprise is now?!" She jumps, eager to know the surprise. Grayson laughs and stands behind you. He wraps his arms around your stomach and Ava looks up at you, her bottom lip jutted out.

"You're gonna be a big sister!" You exclaim and she smiles, jumping up and down.

"What is it? Because I want a baby sister!" "We don't know yet, babygirl. We'll have to wait and see!" Grayson says, a smile following.

"So where is the baby?"

"It's in mommy tummy." I rub my stomach and she puts her ear up to it, confused.

"How did it get in there?"

I look at Grayson and he pulls his bottom lip between his teeth, trying hard to hold back his laughter. He succeeds and starts to speak.

"Let's just say, your daddy loves your mommy very very much."