Bills (E)

// not my idea

You sigh as you run your fingers through your hair and stare down at the stack of bills piled up on the dining room table.

You hear the front door slowly creak open and then shut, the lock clicking immediately after. Heavy footsteps sound in the hallway and you soon feel a pair of gentle arms wrap around your waist.

You take a deep breath before turning around to see Ethan with bloodshot eyes and dark circles lingering underneath.

"Do you see this?" You ask, trying to stay calm, but failing. "Yeah. I meant to-" "You meant to what. Pay them? With what money, Ethan? You said you would pay them last week." He takes in a sharp breath before speaking.

"Baby, I'm trying. I'm doing everything I can. I-I'm working day and night for you." "Well, clearly it's not enough. I just had to take on a second job." "It's okay. I got it all under control."

"No. No you don't! With this baby on the way, Ethan, we're gonna have to start taking responsibility. You can't just expect everything to fall into your lap and not have to worry about anything!"

You let out a careless laugh as you stare him in the eyes. "Y-yeah. I understand, a-and I'm trying to get my feet off the ground b-but it's taking longer than I thought." His eyes quickly dart to the tile floor and his eyes get glossy.

"Ethan, your job isn't the only thing that matters! God, it's like you don't even care." You sigh as you start thumbing through the white envelopes, tears welling up in your eyes.

"Baby, don't say that. I care so much! Hell, I care about you more than I do myself!" He yells before slamming the bedroom door, making you cringe at the sudden loud sound.

You soon hear the sound of glass shatter and you start to slowly walk towards the bedroom, bracing yourself for what you were about to see.

You open the door a few inches and see Ethan sitting on the bed, his head held in his large hands. Your eyes quickly dart to the hardwood floor, where your wedding picture lay, surrounded in small shards of broken glass.

Ethan looks up as you start to walk over to him, a tear slipping down your cheek.

"A-are you going to l-leave me?" He croaks, his eyes red and puffy and his cheeks sticky with fresh tears.

"No, Ethan. Why would you think that, baby?" "I-I don't know. Maybe I'm not good enough for you. Hell, I can't even pay the bills." "It's okay. We'll get through this," you say as you rest your head on his firm shoulder.

"I love you so incredibly much and nothing will ever change that," you say as a tear slips down your cheek.