Power Outage (E)

Heavy rain beats hard against your window. Thunder ferociously claps and lightning flickers like a strobe light, lighting up your bedroom.

You sigh as your phone goes to 1% and then quickly shuts off, leaving you with a black screen and a small buffering symbol in the center.

You set your phone down on the nightstand and cuddle closer to Ethan. He turns the tv up a little so he can listen to the 10 o'clock news before kissing the top of your head.

"Alright folks, tonight there's a 100% chance of rain, so stay indoors and stay out-"

The tv turns off, leaving the room pitch black except for the occasional lightning that would flash. At the same time, the lamp goes out.

"Did the power just go out?" Ethan asks and you nod even though he can't see your face, let alone you.

You carefully get out of bed and stand, putting your arms out in front of you so you don't run into anything.

You make it to the kitchen before yelling Ethan's name. "What?" he asks, his soothing voice coming from down the hall.

"Where are the flashlights?"

You hear his footsteps and soon feel him standing next to you. He uses his bright phone flashlight to light up the drawers, but can't seem to find any kind of actual flashlight.

"We don't have any." "Ugh, why?" "Babe, we just moved in." "And we forgot flashlights?!" He giggles and you smile, even though he can't see it.

You start to head down the hallway, and back to the master bedroom, careful to not stub your toe.

The makeshift flashlight quickly turns off as you reach the end of the hall.

You stop and turn to face Ethan, who was following close behind you.

"Ethan, turn your phone flashlight back on."

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"My phone just died."