[Carl Grimes] Little Melancholy Part 2

Prompt:
Rick's group prepare for war against the Saviours, meanwhile Y/n's connection with Carl grows stronger.

"Today." Y/n huffed, sitting at the dining table impatiently.
"How do you know?" Rick questioned, looking up from the table and making eye contact with her.
"We have a system when it comes to our meet ups. I'm not telling you what it is, just that I'm suppose to meet him today."
"How many men do we bring before Dwight starts feeling threatened?" Daryl piped, making eye contact with Y/n.
"Carl comes. Young boy will show him you're half decent. Not Daryl. I'm sorry- but you're intimidating. Maggie, maybe- but I don't think she'd appreciate his attitude. I'd say three? No more."
"Three? That ain't much if things go sideways." Daryl protested.
"I'll be there. The only way things go sideways is if I let it. Which I'm not. I'm suppose to meet him soon, so get your three people ready now."
Rick nodded and stood up, everyone else at the table standing up as well. Carl, Michonne, Daryl, Maggie and Glenn.

The rest of the group left the room, except Y/n and Carl. He approached her, holding what looked like a crumpled comic in his hands.
"Issue three. I'm done, you can read it now."
Y/n smiled to herself, taking it from him.
"Gee, thanks, geek." and with that, she left for her makeshift bedroom. Inside, she pulled her jacket over her shoulders and grabbed her backpack. When she exited her room, Carl grabbed her arm.
"Hey Y/n?" he asked, still holding her arm. "Why'd you really tell my dad to let me come?"
"What?" She asked, confused.
"Nobody with any brains thinks a guy like my father is half decent just cause he's got a kid. I'm not even half decent myself." He tilted his head. "So what's the real reason?"
Y/n sighed to herself, yanking her arm out of Carl's grip and continuing down the stairs. Rick stood by the door, counting the ammo in his gun.
"Who'd you decide to bring?" She asked, opening the screen door. Rick followed her outside and onto the patio.
"Jesus. Daryl." He replied, loading his gun. Y/n crossed her arms over her chest.
"I said no Daryl." She protested. Rick shrugged, placing his hands on his hips.
"Yeah, I heard that."
"Wow." She breathed out. "You're lucky I'm a sarcastic person. If I'd have been even the slightest bit light, I would take offence to that."
"Do you?" Rick questioned, looking into the distance of Alexandria for a brief moment.
"You're the one who gets shot when my dad gets jealous of Daryl's biceps and wants to have a mucho man contest- not me."
Rick's lips curled into a smile and then it instantly disappeared.
"Right. I'll tell him to wear sleeves then?"  He asked. Y/n smiled, shielding her eyes from the sun. Rick began walking down the patio steps, Y/n stayed on the porch, watching him.
"Roger that." She called after him. Carl walked out onto the patio, standing beside Y/n.
"Wow. I've never seen him like that." He breathed out.
"Who?" Y/n asked, dazed and confused.
"My dad. You were sarcastic to him and he played along. Well done."
"What?" She asked, again.
"He's not normally like that. He likes you."
Y/n put her hands out in defence.
"I'm not up for a Humbert and Lolita thing with your father, no thanks." The joke made Y/n's chest tight as she instantly regret it. Lately, moments with Carl and the Grimes family had been bringing her away from all her problems- and when sensitive jokes like that surfaced in her mind, her bubble popped and she returned back to earth.
"What's that?" Carl asked, raising his brow. She shifted, ducking her head.
"Don't worry about it." With that, Y/n stormed away from Carl and met with the rest of the group who were leaving with her. Rick, Jesus and Daryl waited by fence while Carl walked behind Y/n and tried to catch up.
"Let's go." Y/n announced.
"Whoa. We don't even know where we're going?" Jesus protested, throwing his arms in the air and stepping in front of Y/n.
"We're heading North. Alexandria and the Kingdom- they're two points of the triangle. Negan's camp is the top point. I meet my father in an old coffee shop in an estate right in the centre of that triangle."
"Danier Estate, the place is a ghost town. I know it." Jesus nodded, turning to show Daryl and Rick he was clear.
"It's not far. Drive us to the gates of Danier Estate and walk through it. I use to ride a bike there, so he'll be freaked if a car comes rolling in. We can make it in half an hour if we're quick. Come on."
Everyone in the group obeys, following Rick to the nearest car.