Chapter 60

"Does it hurt Mommy?"

I glance up from Hunter to look at Belle who sits beside me. She hasn't left my side since she met him, completely smitten with her baby brother. I'm currently breastfeeding Hunter and I smile at her, "A little bit. But it's how he gets his food."

"Why?" She asks, her little eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

I look at her for a moment, her inquisitive eyes looking for an answer and a small smile comes to my lips, "I am able to make milk for him, because that's what Mommy's do when they are pregnant. Their bodies get ready so that when the baby comes, there is plenty of food for them to eat."

"Okay." She says, grasping the concept before she looks up at me again, "When will Daddy be home?"

Her question causes me to still as I wonder where my husband is. I decide to be honest with her, "I'm not sure baby. But he'll come back. He always comes back."

She smiles at my words, "Yeah, he always does."

Hunter pulls away and makes a snuffling sound, letting out a cry as I pull my bra and shirt back into place, "Hold little man, Mommy's coming." I say as I lay the towel over my shoulder.

I lift him up and place him over my shoulder, patting his back, "What're you doing now?" Belle asks.

I glance over at her, "I'm making sure he burps otherwise he'll have an sore tummy like you used to get. Remember?" I ask.

She nods her head and soon Hunter lets out a burp and I smile, "There we go little man." I smile.

I put him back in the crook of my arm and smile down at him, "He's so cute." Belle whispers, her hand reaching over to take his.

I smile and place a kiss on her head, "So are you baby."

Though I feel exhausted, I know I need to go out and help outside with the clean up. I look down at Belle, "I'm going to put him to sleep and I also want you to go to sleep. I'm going to go downstairs incase they need me. Now I'm going to bring the baby monitors with me but if either Judith or Hunter start crying, stay with them until one of us comes okay? You can have a rest while I'm gone."

She nods her head, her eyes drooping and I stand up from the bed and quickly wrap him up for bed. Once that's done I begin to rock Hunter to sleep, gently swaying from side to side. His eyes close slowly as he nestles into my side. He falls asleep fairly quickly and I smile as I walk over and place him down in the travel cot that we've had stored away for this moment. I gently lay him down in the cot and place two of the pillows off Daryl and I's bed on either side of him.

"Stay here Belle." I whisper to her as I walk out quietly.

I sneak into Rick and Carl's room and see Judith passed out in her cot and I smile, leaving the door part way open. I walk back into our room and I see Belle laying back on the bed, her eyes closed. I smile at the sight and grab the monitors off of the dresser. I turn and make my way downstairs and out the door.

I can smell the burning of burning flesh and I feel sick at the smell. I ignore it and make my way into town, seeing the massacre for the first time. Blood is everywhere, over the houses, the roads and grass. People faces are covered in devastation, all of us unable to comprehend the devastation that surrounds us. I walk towards the front gate and I spot Maggie up ahead speaking with Michonne and Rosita.

I walk past Tobin and another man pile as they pile some bodies onto a trolley and I give them a sad smile, which they return. As I walk towards the women,  I catch the end of their conversation, "The fire never got lit. We had to keep going."