Chapter 44

I sit on the bed, my fingers knotted together anxiously as I wait for further instructions. I hear multiple footsteps down the hall and I turn to look at the doorway. Beth walks in with a wheel chair in front of her, with Doctor Edwards waiting for us outside of the room. Beth helps ease me into the wheelchair and I hold my stomach protectively. She helps me adjust until I'm comfortable in the seat before she walks around the back of the chair and proceeds to push me out of the room.

We walk slowly down the hallways of the hospital floor and my hands shake nervously with the feeling that something bad is going to happen. We walk in silence and soon we turn a corner where four cops wait with their guns at the ready, among them Dawn. The tension in the room is overwhelming and I squirm uncomfortably in my seat. I look ahead at the door in anticipation, waiting for them to walk through.

I see some movement from behind the little window, but I can't quite make out who it is. I reach my hand back and clasp Beth's hand in my own, wanting to stay as close to her as possible. To keep her safe by my side. Dawn and the other officers place their guns back in their holsters and I hear her speak into her walkie talkie, "Holster your weapons."

Beth gives my hand a tight squeeze as the doors at the end of the corridor open slowly, revealing everyone at the other end. Two officers lead the group, with the others trailing behind. Dawn steps out of the way and faces us, nodding for us to come forward. My eyes remain focused on the group ahead of us and I see him there and I let out a breath of relief.

In the small group is Rick, Daryl, Carol, Tyreese, Sasha and Noah. All them look over at us with wary eyes. Daryl's eyes shift between me and Beth and I see relief behind them. The other two officers reach us and join their comrades as Dawn faces Rick and the others.

It is quiet for a moment before Rick speaks up, "They haven't been harmed." He states, his voice echoing around the empty halls.

"Where's Lamson?" Dawn asks, looking directly at Rick.

"Rotters got him." The woman cop in front of Rick says.

"We saw it go down." The man in front of Daryl adds.

"Oh." Dawn says quietly, "I'm sorry to hear that. He was one of the good guys."

It's quiet for a moment before she speaks, "One of yours for one of mine." She states.

Rick nods, "Alright." He says, looking over at Daryl.

Daryl nods and pushes the cop forward, "Move." He grunts at the man.

Dawn turns and faces a cop who bends down and grabs my bag. Beth pushes me forward slightly and the man with the bag takes over behind me. I look up and see Daryl beckon us forward and I can't help smile a little bit. The male cop walks past us towards Dawn and the man stops me in front of Daryl. He hands him the bag and I lift myself up out of the wheelchair, letting out a wince at the movement.

Daryl's arm wraps around my waist and he squeezes my hip gently while I bury my head in his neck for a moment, so happy to be back in his arms. He walks me towards the others and I see Tyreese and Sahsa smile at me, Carol placing her hand on my arm. I turn around and see Dawn walking forward with Beth, Rick with the other cop. They exchange them and I see Rick place a kiss on Beth's head before gently pushing her towards us.

Beth and Rick walk towards us as Dawn speaks, "I'm glad we could work things out."

Beth reaches us and Daryl places his hand on her back as we begin to walk towards the exit, Beth's hand in my own.

"Yeah." Rick says in a monotone voice.

We are almost out the door of the hallway when Dawn speaks again, "Now I just need Noah."