Chapter 9

"It's okay baby." I whisper in Belle's ear as she grips tightly onto my shirt collar. I hear Carol's sobs and Daryl's attempts at reassurances but I don't look, knowing she wouldn't want me too. I just rock back and forth, trying to calm Belle down. I see Beth rush forward, moving past Rick towards Anette's body. All this time, she had been holding onto hope that there would be a cure. I knew that this day would come, I'm just not ready for it. She pulls another walker away and flutters over her mother when suddenly, it reaches up and grabs her.

"Beth!" I scream.

They rush forward and pull her away, T-Dog kicking in Annette's head. They pull the walker up and Andrea rushes forward, thrusting a scythe into her head. I let out a sigh of relief for a moment and I stand up, making my way over to my family. I pull Maggie against my side as we make our way back to the house.

The others begin to follow, Shane ranting at us, "We've been out coming these woods looking for her and she was in there all along. You knew!"

"Leave us alone!" Maggie yells and I hear Rick and Shane arguing behind us.

"You knew, and you kept it from us." Shane states.

"I didn't know." Hershel says, bewildered.

"That's bullshit! And I think you all knew!" He accuses.

"We didn't know!" Maggie yells.

"Why was she there?!" Shane asks.

Hershel turns and confronts Shane and I feel Belle reach out towards Jimmy, who takes her off me.

"Otis, put those people on the barn. Maybe he found her and put it in there before it was killed." Hershel explains as I walk down beside him.

"You expect me to believe that. What do I look like, some sort of idiot to you?" Shane asks.

"I don't care what you believe!" Hershel says, stepping forward and I place my hand out to stop him.

"Everybody, just calm down!" Rick says.

"Get him off my land!" Hershel commands.

"Let me tell you something man." Shane begins taking a step forward and I swing my arm out, my fist connecting with his jaw.

"Back the fuck off, you inconsiderate asshole! Haven't you already fucked up enough today?" I yell in his face.

"Hayley, no." Jimmy says, grabbing my arm.

I shrug him off and walk up to the man, my body shaking with rage, "Yeah, I know that those things are dangerous, I've seen that for a long time now but they haven't. Just because they are dangerous, doesn't mean you can come in here and play the game of my dick is bigger than your dick. If you ever try to touch my family again, a bullet to the head is going to be the nicest ending you'll get. Got it?" I say, glaring into his eyes.

He just glares back at me and I feel a tug on my arm, "Come on Hayley." Hershel instructs.

I back away, still glaring at Shane before turning and heading into the house with the others. I let out a deep breath and I turn to see everyone looking at me, hesitancy in their eyes.

"I'm sorry." I say.

Belle climbs down and rushes over to me, clutching at my leg. I run my fingers through her hair and pick her up. I walk up the stairs to our room and I lay down in bed with her, watching as she slowly cries herself to sleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I stand in front of the graves, too exhausted to cry anymore. Hershel said his piece and we just stand there for a moment, paying our respects. One by one, people walk off and soon I'm the only one left there. I stare at the graves of Shaun and Annette, the memories flooding my mind. I feel the tears begin to fall down my cheeks and I sink to my knees.