Chapter 50

I walk into the room with Belle's hand in my good one, my eyes roaming over the large space. The space is open and light, sunshine coming in from all angles. The walls on one side of the room tower with books and various knick knacks. The middle of the room is dominated by a large couch, a mahogany coffee table and a single chair facing the couch. Behind the couch sits a video camera on an tripod, the little screen focused on the chair.

A woman walks into the room wiping her hands on her pants and she slows when she sees us, "You must be Hayley and Annabelle." She says, a smile on her face.

The woman is older, with faded orange hair. She is fairly small, probably around half a head smaller than me. I squeeze Belle's hand tightly, "Ah yes, you must be Deanna?" I ask.

She nods her head and walks over to us, her hand outstretched, "Pleasure to meet you both." She says.

I let go of Belle's hand and shake it, her grip firm and powerful, "Please take a seat." She says, gesturing to the chair.

We walk after and take a seat on the chair with Belle on my lap as she stands beside the camera, "Do you mind if I record this? For transparency." She states.

I look at her confused and shake my head, "Uh no, that's fine."

She nods and presses a button, the little red light coming to life. She walks around and takes a seat on the couch and smiles at me, "Well Hayley, you look like you're just about ready to deliver?" She says, looking at my stomach.

I nod my head, my eyes never leaving her's, "Yes, should be any day now if I'm counting correctly."

She smiles widely, "It's so wonderful. Everyone here never thought we'd see a baby again. And now with your group here, it brings hope."

I hold Belle tightly against me and Deanna turns to her, "Hello little one."

Belle looks at her for a moment before turning to me and I nod, telling her to speak, "Hello." She says quietly.

"Well aren't you beautiful? Are you excited for a new brother or sister?" Deanna asks and Belle nods her head.

She smiles, "Its wonderful. So how long have you and Mr Dixon been together?" She asks.

I look at her, wondering what angle she's coming from, "Around nine years." I say, not wanting to go into the details of our relationship.

"That's wonderful, I have been with my husband Reg for twenty six magical years. There's nothing like being with the ones you love, especially in a time like this. Am I right?" She asks and I nod.

She smiles and settles back into her seat, "Well welcome to Alexandria Hayley and Belle, it is a pleasure to have you here."

"Thank you for opening up your community to us, it's almost as if this place hasn't been hit." I say, looking around once more.

"We've been very fortunate. In the beginning my husband and a few of the other men helped build the walls surrounding the community. We've been expanding, making room for more new comers like yourselves. This place is truly safe." She says, almost as if she is pitching a house to me.

I nod my head and she smiles at me, "So what did you do before all of this?" She asks, gesturing around.

"Does it matter?" I ask, wondering where she is going.

"Of course it does." She says, her eyes locked on me.

I look at her for a moment before reluctantly speaking, "I had a business degree and I was doing secretarial work for a law firm in Atlanta."