Chapter 23

I sit next to Hershel on his bed with Belle in between us as he reads her a bible story. Beth paces the room, trying to ease Judith to sleep as she listens. Belle looks up at Hershel with bright eyes, captivated by the story. Though I was never really religious, I am happy that Belle is. She needs something to believe in in the world.

I hear the cell block door slam open and Carl yelling, "Dad, Daryl! Come quick, it's Andrea."

I look at Hershel, "Watch Belle."

I get up and rush out of the room, grabbing a gun on my way. Rick, Daryl, Merle, Michonne and I rush out of the cell block on high alert. I look through my scope and see Andrea walking through the walker filled fields, with an armless and jawless walker on a pole. They seem to ignore her as she walks through them.

"Go." Rick commands and we rush to take our positions.

"Clear!" Merle yells and we push forward.

"Are you alone?" Rick yells at her.

"Open the gates!" She yells back.

"Are you alone?!" He shouts.

"Rick!" Andrea calls out worried.

Rick throws Daryl the keys and he unlocks the door quickly, allowing Andrea to slip through.

"Hands up, turn around!" Rick yells.

"What?" She asks confused.

"Turn around now!" He yells, pushing her against the fence.

We all have our guns aimed in different directions, looking out for any other signs of Woodbury residents. A walker slams agains the fence and she screams out.

"On your knees, on the floor." Rick says, pushing her to the ground.

She holds her hands up as Rick finishes searching her, "I asked if you were alone."

"I am." She gasps as he pulls her satchel off of her, throwing it over towards me.

I catch it and look through, seeing there's nothing of danger in there, "It's clear."

Everyone relaxes their stances and we begin to head back into the cell block. We walk into the cell block and Hershel and the others walk into the cafeteria area, Belle running over to me. I catch her in my arms and she holds onto me tightly.

"Are we safe?" She asks.

I nod my head, "We're fine baby."

I turn and see Andrea walk in, her eyes looking around in wonder. She walks to Carol and wraps her arms around her, holding onto her tightly.

"After you saved me, we thought you were dead." Carol says to her.

"I wasn't the only one." She says, looking over to me.

Her eyes move around and widen when they land on Herhsel, "Hershel, my god."

She looks around, "I can't believe this. Where's Shane?" She asks.

Rick shakes his head and everyone remains silent, "And Lori?"

Rick looks down at the ground as Hershel speaks, "She had a girl. Lori didn't survive."

"Neither did T-Dog." Maggie adds.

"I'm so sorry." She whispers.

She looks around and her eyes land on Carl, "Carl..."

He looks back at her, his face hard. She turns to Rick who looks away from her, "Rick, I..."

"You all live here?" She asks, looking around the room.