Chapter 59

I sit on the stool at the bench in the kitchen and watch as Carol finishes making the casserole for dinner tonight, "Mm, smells good." I say, my mouth salivating.

She chuckles and puts it in the oven, "Thank you. I had to get a little inventive with what they have left in the pantry. They're gonna have to go on another in soon." She states as she sets the timer.

She looks past me out the window and I turn to see what she is looking at. I get up from the stool and stand beside her to see a woman smoking out front of her house. I glance at Carol and see a slight smirk on her lips and I look back at the woman. She lets out a puff of smoke and turns her head.

"Ahh!" She screams.

A man that I've never seen before rushes towards her with a machete and slices her across her stomach and my heart stops in my chest. The man lifts the machete and swings it, slicing into her skull with blood flying everywhere.

"Oh my God." I whisper as we turn and make our way into the house.

"Belle!" I yell and I hear people rushing down the stairs.

"What's going on?" Carl asks with Belle not too far behind.

"Carl, were being attacked. Grab the guns from upstairs now!" Carol commands as Belle rushes to my side and wraps her arms around me terrified.

He runs up the stairs and Carol turns to me, "I'm going to head out there and help, you stay here with Carl and the girls." She instructs and I nod my head.

Carl walks back down the stairs with guns in his arms, "I saw from upstairs, they're coming in from all over." He states.

"You stay here with Hayley and keep the girls safe." She says, turning and rushing out of the house.

"Belle, stay here. Carl we gotta go and lock all the doors." I say, taking a gun off of him as my heart pines in my chest.

He rushes past me and I go to the front door and lock it, as well as the windows surrounding the place. I get back into the living room and see Carl handing Belle a handgun, "Remember what I taught you." He says and she nods her head, terror in her eyes.

I turn to her, "Belle baby, I need you to go upstairs and stay with Judith."

"No Mommy-" She begins but I cut her off, "It's not safe down here. You stay up there and try to keep her quiet. If you hear something going on down here, you take Judith and hide okay? Don't come down unless one of us tells you too."

She nods her head and turns, running up the stairs. As she leaves my sight a massive pain overcomes me and I feel a gush of water flows down my leg. I sag against the wall and Carl rushes to my side, "Hayley? Are you alright? What's going on?!"

I let out a breath and look at him, "Carl, I need you to remain calm alright?"

"What's happening?" He asks, looking down at the puddle of water by feet.

"Look, my water has just broken. That means that the baby is coming." I explain, slightly breathless from the pain of the contraction.

"Now?!" He exclaims with wide eyes.

I nod my head, "Now!" I say as another contraction overwhelms me.

I grip at his arm as he holds me up and the pain goes away. I take deep breaths as I look at him, "You are going to have to help me through this Carl. It's going to be messy and gross but I can't do this on my own." I say as he looks at me completely distressed.

I place my hand on the side of his face, "Don't be scared." I say soothingly.

He looks at me for a long moment before nodding his head, "Okay, let's do this."