Chapter 6

The room is silent and the tension in the air is thick. He looks at me, not moving an inch and I look back at him, wishing he'd say something. This continues for a long time and I begin to think that I did the wrong thing.

"Say something." I whisper.

"What do you want me to say?" He growls.

"Something, anything."

"Are you sure she's mine?" He asks, an edge to his voice.

I glare at him, "You asshole, you think I went and fucked someone else?"

"Did you?" He glares back at me.

I shake my head, "I can not believe you. There hasn't been anyone since you and you sure as hell know there wasn't anyone before." I yell.

"How was I supposed to know?" He yells back.

"Because you fucked me up beyond repair! I was in love with you and you just left me! I had to fucking raise her on my own because you left!" I yell, pointing in his face.

"I had to!" He sits up in bed.

"Why?" I ask.

He remains silent and glares at me, "Are you serious? You still can't tell me?"

"You're pathetic. Grow up." I yell, walking out the door and slamming it behind me.

I lean against the wall outside and hear him, "Fuck!" He yells, throwing something against the wall. Tears stream down my face as I walk away from the room.

"What's going on?" Hershel asks, walking down the stairs.

He takes a look at me and rushes forward, "What happened?"

I wrap my arms around him and cry into his shirt as he holds me tightly, "Hayley, tell me what's wrong."

I pull back and look at him and sigh, "Daryl is Belle's father."

He looks at me, shock covering his face, "What?"

I wipe my eyes and take a step back and take a seat on the chair, placing my head in my hands. He takes a seat beside me, "Why didn't you tell me?" He asks after awhile.

"I didn't tell anyone except Maggie. I wanted you all to think that she was the product of a one night stand. I didn't want anyone to know it was his. I wanted it to be my secret." I explain, tears streaming down my face.

"Why?" He asks.

"Because he left me!" I yell.

He remains quiet for a moment, "How did he take it?"

I scoff, "Not very well." I sniff.

He places his hand on my back and rubs it softly, "I'm so sorry Hayley."

I lean back in the chair and lay my head against his shoulder, "What am I gonna do?" I whisper.

"I don't know." He says.

"I'm sorry." A woman's voice says.

I look up and see Lori looking at us and I wipe my eyes, "It's okay."

"I just wanted to say thank you for letting us cook you a meal." She says.

"That's okay, you did a mighty fine job. It looks like Carl will be up and about by tomorrow." Hershel smiles.

"I heard, I'm so grateful for everything you and your family has done." She says.

I stand up, needing to be alone, "If you'll excuse me. I think I might go and check on my daughter. Goodnight." I say, placing a kiss on Hershel's cheek.