Chapter 3

"Holy shit." I whisper.

His body goes tense as he looks at me, his eyes searching my face. I can feel my body trembling and I want nothing more than to take Belle and run far away. He is older, more rugged, even more handsome than when he was a kid. My eyes rake over him, trying to determine if this is a dream or not. The others have been talking this whole time and Hershel's voice grabs my attention.

"I'd like to make a start now."

I shake my head and gather my thoughts, walking down the steps. I take Belle's hand in mine as we walk towards Otis' resting place. I remove all thoughts of Daryl and focus on saying goodbye to a loved one. One by one, those close to him or knew him would walk forward to place a stone on the pile. When it's my turn, Annabelle and I walk forward towards the pile. I feel the eyes of the hunter on us as I take a stone and place it on the pile. Belle reaches into the barrel and pulls one out, placing at the bottom of the pile.

"Goodbye Uncle Otis." She whispers.

Tears stream down my cheeks as I pick her up and walk back to our place beside Patricia and Maggie. I grasp Patricia's hand in my own, giving it a comforting squeeze. She holds on tightly, her body rocking slightly. Beth walks forward and places a stone on the pile, followed closely by Jimmy.

"Blessed be God. Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. Praise be to him, for the gift of our brother Otis. For his span of years, for his abundance of character. Otis who gave his life to save a child. Now more than ever, our most precious asset." Hershel says and I hold tightly onto Belle.

"We thank you God for the peace he enjoys in your embrace. He died as he lived, in grace. Shane, will you speak for Otis?" Hershel asks.

I turn and look at Shane, "I'm not good at it, I'm sorry." He apologises.

"You were the last one with him, you shared his final moments. Please, I need to hear. I need to know his death had meaning." Patricia begs.

The look on Shane's face is confusing, such strong emotion being held as he begins to speak, "We were about done. Almost out of ammo, we were down to pistols by then. I was limping, it was bad. Ankle all swollen up." I begin to cry more at his words, my heart aching for my friend.

"We gotta save the boy, see that's what he said. He gave me his backpack, he sent me ahead. Run he said. I'll take the rear, I'll cover you. And when I looked back..." He trails off.

I look at his expression and I see something I can't quite put my finger on. Something about the way he says it, makes me feel as if he isn't telling the whole truth. He hobbles forward towards the barrel and grabs a stone out as he speaks, "If not for Otis, I'd never made it out alive. And that goes for Carl too, it was Otis. He saved us both. If any death ever had meaning it was his."

Patricia nods and leans into my shoulder as we watch Shane place the stone onto the pile. Hershel says a final prayer and then it's over. We walk back as a family towards the house, Belle asleep on my shoulder. I  walk up the steps and go to my bedroom, placing Belle on the bed. I walk out and close the door behind me, heading back downstairs.

"Hayley?"

I turn and see Hershel looking at me, "Yeah?"

He tilts his head to the side, "How're you doing?"

I let out a sigh and lean against the staircase, my thoughts running at a million miles an hour. I let out a defeated laugh, "I don't know."

He walks forward and pulls me against his chest, giving me a long hug. I wrap my arms around his waist and lay my head against his chest, hugging the man that has become my father. I think about everything that's happened over the last few days. Otis... Daryl coming back. I feel the tears begin to soak into Hershel's shirt and he speaks, "It will all be okay."