Chapter 32

Carrying the full fuel container, I make my way over to the Tuscan to fill it up. It's rather heavy but I push on, though my arms feel like they're on fire. I eventually reach the car and practically drop it to the ground when I go to lift it higher. I flex my hands and look down at them, seeing the redness. I sigh and undo the fuel cap on the car, letting hand down. I bend down and lift up the fuel container and let out a grunt as I move it up.

"What the hell are you doing?"

I tilt the container and look up the see Rick rushing towards me, "I'm filling up the tank." I grunt again under its weight.

He reaches over and lifts the container up and out of my hands, a scolding look on his face, "Are you trying to hurt yourself?"

I let out a huff and wipe my hands on my jeans, "I was trying to help." I mutter.

"You need to stop, you're wearing yourself out. I'm not gonna have Daryl come home and kick my ass because you've hurt yourself because you wouldn't listen." He says, continuing to fill up the car.

I roll my eyes, "Daryl needs to stop being so damn protective, this isn't the first time I've had a kid."

"Yeah, but this is the first time he's been around you while you're pregnant with his kid, let alone in this world. He doesn't know what's going on, what he should do. God, I remember when Lori was first pregnant with Carl I wouldn't let her do anything." He says, thinking back.

"Let me guess, she got pissed?" I ask, understanding her point of view.

He nods and gives a smile, "That she did, was snapping at me all the time. Didn't want my help but I didn't listen, I didn't want her lifting a finger."

"What about with Judith?" I ask and his smile drops instantly.

"Truth be told I wasn't around much when she was pregnant with Judy." He mumbles, pouring the fuel in the tank.

"Why? If you don't mind me asking." I say, leaning against the car.

"Well, a lot happened after the barn went down. What happened with Lori and Shane, losing people, on the road twenty four seven... I don't know, I just couldn't deal with it." He says, looking down.

He pulls away the container and puts the cap back on, "I don't know, I just wish that I could go back and make things right. Let it go. Say goodbye..." He trails off.

"I'm sorry to bring it up." I say, being overcome with guilt for brining her up.

He shakes it off, "It's fine, it's good to talk about her sometimes you know?" He asks, looking at me.

I nod, "Yeah, I know. Sometimes I wish I could go back and not let Daryl leave all those years ago. I don't know, maybe we wouldn't be where we are right now. Could have saved ourselves a lot of heart ache."

"Yeah but things wouldn't be as strong as they are now. I know that I wish I could go back and fix things with Lori before it all went to hell. But once all this happened and I found her again, we were stronger than ever. Sometimes you gotta go through hell to make things better." He says, walking away to put the container back where it came from.

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I just wish they were back by now." I sigh, picking at a scab on my arm to distract myself.

"It was a fair way to the school, I'm sure they're fine." He says, walking over to me.

"I know, I just can't help but worry about them. Plus Belle, Glenn and Sasha and Lizzie. Also the fact that Hershel is in there now. We've been through so much already, I don't know if I can handle anything else going wrong." I say, my voice getting thick.