Chapter 1

Four years later
"Mommy, look at me!"

I look up from the chickens nest by my feet and look around. I spot the little girl spinning around in the fields, dancing with her Aunty Beth whom she loves very much.

"Wow, beautiful Belle! You too Beth!" I call out to the sixteen year old.

She rolls her eyes at me as Belle pulls on her arm, "Again Aunty Beth! Again!"

The blonde looks down at the little brunette and does another twirl, Belle copying her instantly. Her girlish giggles echo throughout the silent air and I beam in pride at my little girl. Despite everything that's happening, it's incredible to still hear my little girl laugh.

I look back down at the nest and pick up the rest of the eggs, placing them in the small wicker basket. I step out of the pen and lock the door behind, beginning to walk back to the house. I look around the farm, grateful that nothing has effected it. My eyes land on the large barn and I sigh, well almost. I avoid looking at it for too long, knowing I don't want to get into another argument. When Hershel first began putting those things in the barn, I protested fiercely.

"What are you crazy Hershel?!" I yell.

"Hayley-" He begins to scold.

I shake my head, "No, you can't keep them in there, it's too dangerous!"

"They're just sick Hayley, that's all." He states.

"No they aren't Hershel. They're dead and they're going to kill us!" I protest.

"Hayley-" Shawn says, placing a hand on my shoulder.

"No Shawn, you and I know how bad it is. He doesn't." I say, thinking back to our run yesterday.

"Hayley, they're staying there and that's the end of it." Hershel states.

"What about Belle? You just going to put her in danger?" I say.

His jaw tightens and his eyes narrow, "You know I love Belle like a granddaughter and that I would never put any of you in danger."

"This will put her in danger!"

"Hayley, that's enough. I've finished discussing this." He says, stomping out of the house.

I snap out of my revere and look over at the, saddened by the people we've lost. Shawn, Annette... I shake my and try to ignore the aching pain in my chest. I walk towards the house and see Jimmy walk down the steps.

"Hey Jimmy, where's Patricia? I got more eggs."

"She's inside. Can you please tell her to stop worrying." He asks, as I stop at the bottom of the steps.

"She worried about that gunshot earlier?" I ask.

He nods, "I try to tell her that it was probably Otis getting some dinner but she's still worrying."

I shrug my shoulders, "It's her husband, she'll always worry."

He nods, "I guess. I've gotta go feed the horses, I'll be back in a bit."

"Okay." I say, going up the steps.

I turn towards the fields once more, "Belle, Beth! Come in and get washed up for dinner!"

"But mom!" I hear the little girl whine.

"No buts, now!" I call back.

She and Beth begin to walk towards the house and I turn and walk into the kitchen, seeing Patricia working at the stove.