Chapter 57

I lay back in my bed, finally just Daryl and I after people have been hovering all around me, constantly asking if I am okay, if I need anything, how I am feeling, causing me to grow extremely frustrated at them all. I have sent everyone but Daryl down stairs so that I can rest as we wait for Denise to show up.

Daryl rushed me back to the house quickly with a few others following closely behind. I asked Carl to keep Belle out of the room for now until we figure out what is going on. We are all waiting around for Denise to turn up, Carol running off to go and get her. Soon enough I hear the front door open and people walking up the stairs. The door opens and Denise walks in carrying a bag and a textbook under her arm.

"How're you doing?" Denise asks, walking over and taking a seat on the other side of me, Daryl on the his side of the bed.

I sit up and wince, "I'm fine Doc. So far it has only been a few so far." I say and she nods her head, opening up a different medical textbook than the one from before.

She flicks through the pages until she stops and begins to read. I turn and look at Daryl who has a paler face and I chuckle, placing my hand on his cheek. He grips my hand when Denise clears her throat, getting my attention and I turn and look at her.

"I'm going to have to see how dilated you are." She says slightly awkwardly and I nod my head and turn to Daryl, "Help me get my pants off?"

He gives me a look for a moment before helping me up to my feet. He kneels down in front of me and I place my hands on his shoulders while he pulls off my pants and underwear. Soon the lower half of my body clenches once more and I grind my teeth and my nails dig into Daryl's vest. I grunt and lean against him and he stands up, holding me up. The pain lasts for another sixty seconds or so before it subsides once more and I open my eyes and see Denise looking at me, not a lot of confidence in her face.

"Lay her on the bed, I have to see how much she has dialated." She says, trying to push through her insecurity as she grabs gloves out of her bag.

Daryl picks me up and eases me onto the bed, my back propped up with cushions. He quickly drapes a sheet over my lower half as Denise walks forward and looks at me, "May I?" She asks and I nod my head for to go ahead.

She sits down and I prop my legs up and apart, allowing her to get a better look as she lifts the sheet to see. I try to ignore her down there and I face Daryl who sits by my head. He turns and looks at me and lifts his hands so his fingers can run through my hair. He leans down and presses a gentle kiss to my forehead and I close my eyes at his soft, sweet touch. I feel Denise move and I open my eyes to see her sit back, pulling the gloves off of her hands, "I hate to say it but you are barely dilated one centimetre."

I groan and lay my head back as Daryl looks at Denise, "So what does that mean?" He asks.

"It means that I am going to be stuck in this pain for a long time yet!" I mutter angrily.

"Contractions before active labour can last up to weeks if not a month. However since I assume you are passed your due by date, we need to keep an eye on everything. If the baby stays in there for too much longer, we may have to do an emergency C section. I don't want to keep the baby in there longer than it has to be." She states.

"Is there anything you can do for the pain?" He asks and I shake my head, my hand gripping onto his arm, "Don't give me anything until the baby comes."

"But you're in pain-" He begins to argue and I shake my head, cutting him off, "I don't want to waste medication on me until I absolutely need it. Something could happen and they may need it, I'm fine for now. This isn't the first time I've dealt with this." I say, thinking back to when I was in labour with Belle.