Chapter 58

I lay down on top of the bed with Belle curled into my side, Carl and Judith laying beside us on Daryl's side of the bed. He sits propped up with his back against the wall with Judith in his lap as he reads to us. Daryl and the others as well as most of the Alexandrian residents have gone out and begun preparations for their big plan, setting up walls, blowing up the balloons and what not. A few have stayed behind including Belle, Carl, Judith and myself.

We lay on my bed as Carl reads to us, something to pass the time away as we wait for the others to return. He's reading to us from a book of fairy tales, a version of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. Belle lays on one of my arms and I use my hand on that arm to play with Judith, who is fascinated with my fingers. She plays with the wedding ring on my finger, trying to remove it but unable to do so.

Belle watches as Carl reads and I smile at Judith, knowing that soon she won't be the youngest of the group anymore. There won't be just one, but two new additions. Another contraction rolls over me and I close my eyes, holding my breath through the pain.

"Are you okay?" Carl asks, pausing from his reading.

I feel Belle turn her head to look at me, "Mommy?" She asks, her tone worried.

The pain fades away and I take a deep breath before opening my eyes and looking between them, "I'm fine, just another contraction." I say.

Carl looks at me worried and I chuckle, "I'm fine Carl." I smile at him.

He looks at me for a moment more, his eyebrows furrowed before he turns back to the book, picking up where he left off. I look down at Belle who has her eyes on me and I lean down, placing a small kiss to her forehead. I move the hair out of her eyes with my fingertips and she turns back to face Carl. But her hand reaches up and takes it in mine, holding onto it tightly. I smile at her and nuzzle my head closer into the pillow.

Carl continues to read to us and after awhile we hear the front door open. Carl looks up towards the door and soon I hear Rick call out, "Carl?"

"Up here!" He yells back, dog earring the book so we don't lose our place.

We hear multiple footsteps coming up the stairs and soon enough the door opens to reveal Daryl, Rick and Glenn.

"Everything alright?" Rick asks, taking us all in on the bed.

Carl nods his head, "I was just reading to the girls." He explains and I smile at him.

"How're you feeling?" Glenn asks, looking directly at me.

"I've been having contractions for three days now, how do you think I feel?" I joke lightly before I speak again, "I just wish this baby would hurry up and come."

Glenn looks at me sadly and I give him a smile before looking at the Georgian blues, a small smile on his face at the sight of us four. Rick looks between Daryl and I for a moment before turning to Carl, "Why don't you and Judy come down stairs for awhile?"

Carl looks between Daryl and I before nodding his head, shifting from off the bed. I look over at Carl, "Thank you for reading to us, Belle loves fairy tales." I say, giving the small girl's hand a squeeze.

"Thank's Carl." Belle says, sitting up to look at him.

He looks down at her with such affection, "Any time Belle." He says and I give him a wink as he walks towards the door, a wriggling Judith in his arms.